bklynreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Curious why the PO4 is so high unless it needs settling and the readings are off the mark because of that. It just doesn't make sense. I'm making the switch now from seachem to esv. I had been using reef crystals before that even. Back then everything was price. Today I just want the best. Oh and when the bucket says it makes 200 gallons, it sure as heck doesn't. Seachem makes about 120gallons at 1.026. Their measurements must be for a salinity of 1.019 at 200 gallons.

Last edited:

Rickyrooz

Acropora Nut
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Curious why the PO4 is so high unless it needs settling and the readings are off the mark because of that. It just doesn't make sense. I'm making the switch now from seachem to esv. I had been using reef crystals before that even. Back then everything was price. Today I just want the best. Oh and when the bucket says it makes 200 gallons, it sure as heck doesn't. It makes about 125 gallons at 1.026. Their measurements must be for a salinity of 1.019 at 200 gallons.

Interesting, I started with ESV and switch to Instant Ocean to save money but was not satisfied with the salt so I went back to ESV. I have always purchased the 200 gallon box and it never did make 200 gallons.

Mike S

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I did the same thing when I went from my 120 to 315. I had tested my esv batches a few times back when I was using it and never saw any phosphates. Been thinking about switching back from IO but there is such a significant price difference. Been meaning to see how much water that I actually get out of a 200 gallon box of IO.

bklynreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Im now doing a huge water change and switching to E.S.V. for the first time. I heard its one of the best salts out there. Ill let you know when i start the process. Lets see if 200 gallons of this will really make 200 gallons at 1.027

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
... Lets see if 200 gallons of this will really make 200 gallons at 1.027
Great salt, been using it for a few years, using about 60g a week for WC...but I think that their formula mixes to 1.025... I do add a little extra salt to make it 1.026...should still be very close to 200g per box.

Buy yourself a digital scale to make measuring easier.

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
so i hear many people are switching from ESV salt to coral life or to other salts. why is that?

Good question...i'd like to switch from RC but have decided to what. ESV is too much work and too pricey for me. Considering red sea. Good review on Omega Salt on reefbuilders but reviews are very scarce... Anyway, just want something cost effective and doesnt leave gunk on everything.

Aqua Vitro salinity. I use it because they use pharmaceutical grade ingredients, which coral can aborb more easily. I've been checking out Esv though, because of its clarity. Do you have to combine its ingredients? They don't sell it anywhere near me, but I can probably order it. Haven't actually seen it in person

ssdawood

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I always had 0 phosphates but since using esv it is 0.05. Not saying its the salt. Also it got all clumpy on me. Going back to red sea blue. I used coral pro and had great results before esv. Switched to blue because it matches my alkalinity.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: