QueensRob

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
If you have a smart phone you can download the app or if its a samsung dial *#0*# and got to sensor and light meter. You can get a %95 accurate measurement from that. Also i believe the par formula is Lux*0.0111+1052=par. Try that and let me know what u find out.

QueensRob

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
I don't advise u to do this but I have a note 2 with the lux meter app and a zip lock bag. I put the phone at different levels and then convert the reading to par. Also u can measure the lights at the surface, should be above 50000 lux or better for most corals.

greg 45

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
I have a par meter I will check at surface then at sand bed to see the difference.
I was trying to see the difference between mh and led
that's why I was using lux , considering they say par isn't correct with par meter on led ,
hope this give's you a better understanding of what I am doing .

QueensRob

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
I was talking to Rob lol. Sorry. But a par meter on led is around %80 accurate and you are going about things the right way. Let me know how it work out because I would love to use your theory on my diy leds.

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
If you have a smart phone you can download the app or if its a samsung dial *#0*# and got to sensor and light meter. You can get a %95 accurate measurement from that. Also i believe the par formula is Lux*0.0111+1052=par. Try that and let me know what u find out.

There is no standard formula to convert LUX to PAR as they are 2 very different things. Lux just measured the total brightness, where PAR measures how much of that light is used for photosynthesis since there is a range of visible light which is barely used for photosynthesis.
That said, there is a formula to convert it assuming you know the conversion factor since each light will have a different conversion factor.
Here's a list of 16 conversion factors, assuming you have those specific lights
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2008/2/review
Keep in mind this is a rough estimate only since even with different ballst, will cause the same MH bulb to put out a different wavelength of light.
And you can also tell there is a huge difference in conversion factor depending on the light source.
The 'formula' quoted above was probably with 1 specific type of light

greg 45

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Par meter number out of the water with apogee par meter
mh and led 500 pretty close . Apogee percentage to led is 10 % max.
Mh under water
led under water more optics and more led's 24
depending on hot spots both max out at 200
They seem pretty close

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: