Tangster

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am looking into getting the BRS GFO and Carbon dual reactor for my reef tank. the tank is covered in hair algae, and was wondering if this will help kill off the algae. i cut the lights down to 4 hours a day and only feed my 2 clowns 2X a week. should i get this reactor, Will it solve any problems?

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
GFO will help bring down your phosphates. But good to start testing and knowning whats causing your levels to go up. Over feeding....live or frozen food. RO/DI water. filters need to be changed. TDS reading ...overcrowed fish.... to much nutrient in tank.....lights play a part only if bulbs are old.

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
To solve your problem is to keep your Phosphate level low. . GFO will bring down your phosphate. GfO will starve the algae from nutrients and causing algae to die. Running GFO and doing proper things to tank will make algea very hard to grow. Most common people do is over feed they tanks. And second not using RO water. You can use it to get rid of algae . It will prevent new algae if you replace media every 3 to 4 weeks. But you want to help by controlling amount of phoshate by entering the tank. Understandig how the phoshate is entering the tank is just important.

Tangster

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do use RO water, and the cartridges are fairly new, I also have lots of hermit crabs that are doing their job. The only thing is the algae is just going to grow back if I can't get the nutrients down. My fuge is also not working effectively because the cheato cannot take over and choke out all the other algae.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: