Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
This is something I have not seen before with pipefish. The copperband seeks out this pipefish and they stay together while the pipefish inspects and eats irritations or maybe parasites that I can't see off the copperband.
They have been together for 15 minutes so far and the copperband seems to be smiling. The multibanded pipefish is to large to get inside his gills but he finds some bits of food on his skin. :eek:rangehat

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
my blue stripe pipe work as a cleaner also, paul if you come across the blue stripe pipe those are the one's ive found to do really well in a reef set-up handle the flow pretty well, had mine around 2 years now and kept one for 3 years in previous set-up

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I know, that's why I took the bull, or Pipefish into my own hands and got some. I am very resourceful. :bagfish:

There is a chance I will go out in my boat tomorrow morning to collect amphipods. (and shrimp) I am not sure because my wife is still in a lot of pain. But if you want to come, let me know.

Dan_P

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just came across this thread.

As you know I have a couple Long Island Sound Pipefish. They are incredibly intelligent looking hunters. I have seen them stalk female Grass shrimp carrying eggs. They try to get close enough to snatch the eggs carried under the shrimp's tail. They also alter colors to match their surroundings.

So, I can believe that your Pipefish sees and removes "things". Maybe the bigger surprise is that the other fish understands he is not under attack.

Dan_P

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am impressed as I can't keep those Long Island pipefish for very long. Maybe I will take home some to try again. How long have you kept them and what do you normally feed them?

I am only up to five weeks so far, so, we'll see if my husbandry is any good.

Mine have all taken to frozen mysis shrimp readily. Live brine shrimp are a hit too, freshly hatched of course, but frozen brine shrimp not so much. I will keep trying other food as well and keep you posted.

Good luck!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: