Bio14guy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So for the last few weeks I have been testing my mag levels and it seems like it is staying around 1680ppm and I can't get it down even with H2O changes. Is it a bad thing for it to be so high.

DKH. 10.5
Cal. 410
Mag. 1680

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
What are you adding to the tank that raised the Mg this high in the first place?
If nothing, then likely you aren't testing correctly or have a bad kit.
What test kit are you using?
What kind of salt ?

Mg at that level won't really hurt anything, but it would be better to get it back where it belongs.

debbythefowler

bona-fide REEF NUT
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I had a TERRIBLE time with the Red Sea MG tests. I exchanged way too many emails with them, they refused to even consider that either there is something wrong with some of their reagents, or that the 'precision' that they insist their test be run with is unrealistic. I gave up on them - they wouldn't even consider replacing the reagents to verify what I suggested. Elos tests for MG are easier to use and I am finding more accurate. I do like the Red Sea Phos, Alk, CA, Nitrate - but not the MG-

send them an email to customer support and see what they say.

also, I find that sometimes 'we' focus too much on testing and not enough on observing health and behavior of our 'animal charges'

debby

pauliwalnuts

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
I also had issues with magnesium test kits in the past. Since Mr. Saltwater seems like he knows what he's talking about, lol, I went with his recommendation and went with Seachem magnesium test kit and I love it. Long procedure, but accurate and simple to read.

debbythefowler

bona-fide REEF NUT
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
i am using ELOS and now very happy. not quite as complex as Seachem....and....I was never thrilled with the Hanna tests for Alk and CA, I am using RED Sea & ELOS and the results are rock solid and consistent!

Mr. Salt-h20 - a little too 'know it all' for my taste. When he told folks not to put Xenia into their tanks because they'd be unhappy in the long run I think he crossed the invisible line from good husbandry advice to being personally a tad judgmental. Books on Algae avoidance are pretty good.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: