don

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I respectfully request a hard science answer to the issue /question Is the use of gfo ferris oxide] together with the use of warner marine 2nd gen bio pellets a contra indicated use of water treatment technology /.? do these treatment applications conflict with one another .? my opinion is formulated by the impact of unclassified appearance of unknown algae formation .I have observed the biocoating of a orange brown film that seems to be created by the concurrent usage of both bp and fo. do each of these create a antagonistic bio chemical reaction that nullifies the proper application resultant. I need a chemical verification and formulary answer by anyone qualified ,please help thanks don

BioMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
My bio plastics melt away and turn the phosphates into a "food" that gets removed via skimmer and my GFO absorbs the phosphates until it clumps up and needs replacing. Truthfully never mixed the 2 and don't see how rust,,I mean GFO,,never mind just don't mix the GFO with powdered aluminum and ignite the 2 or you'll have one hell of a fire...

LongIslandAndy

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
This is just my experience. I use both and find that GFO lowers the phosphate very quickly. My bio-pellet reactor works on the nitrate, but IME it lowered my nitrates over an 8 month period. If I had to choose between the 2 I would use GFO and change it every 2 weeks

QueensRob

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
I can't see how we can compare the two. By adding foods and other things, we add nitrates and po4 to the system. GFO is only designed to remove po4 so what about nitrates? Biopellets are designed to provide a food source for bacteria that uses nitrates and po4 but in a varied proportion. If it removes 10 ppm or nitrates it may only remove 1 ppm of po4 so what do we do? I have a 55 sps 120 lps and 180 mixed office tank and all have biopellets, regugium, skimmer and run half dose of gfo per body of water. I have no problems at all. Biopellets feed the corals and excess are removed with skimmer and refugium takes care of pods and removes some nutrients and the GFO is there incase both is not capable of handling the rest. I do however have a slight cyano due to trying out acropower. Within 2 weeks it almost crashed my sps tank so I am back to dosing Fuel.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: