JoeJawz

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So im gonna have a spare 10 gallon when i get a bigger tank for my baby Red Ear Slider Turtle that i found in my pool last year. I want something different. I either want upside down jellyfish or dwarf seahorses. I am aware of the fact that each species can only be held in a tank by themselves. I plan on putting in an under-gravel filter, an inch of gravel, and another inch of sand on top of that with some species of grass like plant. I am also aware that seahorses need brine shrimp and the jellies need good lighting. Which one you think i should get?

Waleedwale1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
294   0   0
I would get at least 2, not sure about the pipefish haven't looked into them much. Sea horses love things such as gorgonians and macro algaes that they can wrap around so that is something to keep in mind.

JoeJawz

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, the more i read about both, the more I lean towards jellyfish. The seahorses require constant feeding of live foods. The jellies, though get some supliments from live food, get the most of their nutrients from light.

Yes Joe, I think your best bet are the jellyfish indeed. If you were talking about regular jellyfish I would say go with the seahorses but since it's upside down jellyfish, you're much better off. They are photosynthetic and don't require additional feeding although I'm sure you can give them some pellets or pieces of shrimp here and there. I would say upside-down jellyfish are similar to keep an anemone. Given that they are like keeping anemones I would be a little hesitant to stick them in a 10 gallon tank. If you end up going forward with it it, I would do it as a fuge type setup. Minimal amount of rock, preferably a mud bottom, possibly two to three mangroves growing out of it. Good luck, keep us updated

Last edited:

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Jellyfish require a laminar flow pattern, and you can not keep them in a tank with standard powerheads. Additionally, more than 95% of their body is made up of water and minuscule changes in water chemistry will kill them. A brief power outage, not using an auto top-off, making a water change with water of a different pH or temperature... Any of these things will kill your jellyfish. Especially in a small tank.

Honestly, I wouldn't attempt either in such a small tank. Use it as a QT tank. If you are going to try either, do a lot of research beforehand.

ladyhealth

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
A pair of dwarf seahorses in a 10 gallon wouldn't do well. You need a bigger herd. They require a constant feeding of bbs. They are also at risk of being attacked by hydroids. Check out Alyssa Abbotts book for details before you get these beautiful creatures:)

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
regular seahorse's are too big for a 10g tank, jellyfish require a certain type of tank and flow. if going with dwarf seahorses realize you will constantly need to hatch fresh baby brine shrimp. neither are for a beginner

JoeJawz

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the goldfish are out now in the pond, and I guess i wont do jellyfish or seahorse. So any other ideas. Does anybody here know anything about reptiles?

Reef lover24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
115   0   0
I had a 12g laying around and I turned it into a QT tank. So far it has served it's purpose and has saved me some headaches esp after my initial breakout of ich in my main DT. If you don't have a qt I recommend using it for that but that's your call. Good luck with whatever route you decide.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: