Dan_P

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i buy all Tonga from Ming ( Moderator) i decide to bleach, then i run fresh water in 30 gal. conteiner for 2 weeks (24/7), the when i do water change, i use that water, i dose Vodka to drop the PO4, then when i make my new AquaS, i still have PO4 + major Algae , i think from dead stuff inside the Rocks, my BioPeletts can make it, i end up to dose some ZeoStart 3 ( some expensive Vinegar, i now you not like it) like 3 ml a day, finaly now i am around 0.04 , when i gone see 0.00 i will stop the Zeo, then let the BP Reactor to do the rest. For me Rowa is the last solution.

I did a calculation, assuming bacterial mass is composed of the elements of C:N:P in approximately the ratio 106:16:1. Every 1 ppm of nitrate that goes to make bacterial mass will require 0.09 ppm phosphate. That is about a 10:1 ratio of nitrate to phosphate.

I have come across an idea, infrequently discussed, about dosing nitrate when phosphates remain after nitrates have been depleted.

Dan_P

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually it was the week before last. #202

http://www.reefthreads.com/

I am returning the favor with the link below. If you find this video too difficult to follow, I owe you!

http://vimeo.com/40967425

This 27 minute lecture covers what scientists are learning about how microorganisms such as bacteria are structuring the oceans ecosystem. The message is that bacteria are playing a huge role controlling the nutrient cycle, that the ecological system is poorly understood, very complex and vastly interconnected. The chemistry of the ocean and bacteria are intricately connected, not just bacteria in a soup of dilute nutrients.

A Conjecture

So what you might ask? It is possible that understanding this ecology of bacteria and other microorganisms in our aquariums and not just the results of water tests will help us understand the behavior of our systems such algae blooms, the nature of detritus and the fluctuations in nutrients. Moving away from our current water chemistry viewpoint to a more biological one will likely help ensure reef tank health. Unfortunately, this more complete biological view of our reef tanks will take time.

I think we can start by not seeing every aquarium issue as a water chemistry issue cured by the addition of another reactor. It will be difficult but possibly useful to start looking at issues in our reef tanks as variations in the aquarium bacterial community and ask how to get it rebalanced. It might lead us to different solutions for our issues.

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
Great!

Now the tough part, making the theory into useful tool.

OK, i will try to provide the tool ( BP Reactor) by the way ,great material Dan, i really enjoy, Thank You, now, before 2003 i buy one Bio Reactor from that Korean guy on Woodhaven Av., he lost the store after blackout, one of the biggest and nicer at the time, i still have it, i just try to copy the concept, was some Bio Balls mix whit "Danny Balls" the problem is i can NOT find in market any more, i still have some , but NOT enough , same material they use today in BioPeletts (PHA) , the reason i insist on BP reactor and NOT Vodka or Vinegar is, i like NOT to mess the PH on my tank or to make entire tank "hatchery machine" some coral may like some NOT, i believe in BP , i wont give up easy, i see lots of small water filters grow up fast , include Coco warm and my 3 clams , sponges. When i use that Reactor (German) was amazing
what # of Nitrate go in and almost "0" out, low water feeding and small inside pump to help the flow from top to bottom.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2098942

Attachments

• IMG_0769.jpg
    IMG_0769.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_0770.jpg
    IMG_0770.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_0773.jpg
    IMG_0773.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:

Dan_P

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, i will try to provide the tool ( BP Reactor) by the way ,great material Dan, i really enjoy, Thank You, now, before 2003 i buy one Bio Reactor from that Korean guy on Woodhaven Av., he lost the store after blackout, one of the biggest and nicer at the time, i still have it, i just try to copy the concept, was some Bio Balls mix whit "Danny Balls" the problem is i can NOT find in market any more, i still have some , but NOT enough , same material they use today in BioPeletts (PHA) , the reason i insist on BP reactor and NOT Vodka or Vinegar is, i like NOT to mess the PH on my tank or to make entire tank "hatchery machine" some coral may like some NOT, i believe in BP , i wont give up easy, i see lots of small water filters grow up fast , include Coco warm and my 3 clams , sponges. When i use that Reactor (German) was amazing
what # of Nitrate go in and almost "0" out, low water feeding and small inside pump to help the flow from top to bottom.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2098942

This is the paper I found in the above forum post you provided. This is a good source on the theory for the denitrification reactors. Thanks again!

http://www.growfishanywhere.com/media/3849/denitrification__2_.pdf

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: