SteveZz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
I'm at a loss as to what is happening in my fathers tank. There's been a lot of death and destruction lately and I'm hoping to figure out why. I've since moved coral to my tank and the coral is slowly recovering.

Frogspawn closed and refuses to open much at all.
Candy cane receded dramatically.
Duncan will not open.
Zoas open everyday just fine.
Cespitularia looks okay but the polyps are closed.
GSP was opening
Mushrooms are closed.
Birds nest went downhill fast, some are recovering in my tank now, one died in that tank.
Monti's died.

Does anyone have a guess as to what might have caused this?

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
PH 7.8
Temp 76

^ all of the above measurements matched my tank exactly.

Running under LEDs in both cases as well.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, I'm glad I have them recovering in my tank but I'd like his tank to be back under control.

I should also add, we lost two shrimp and a hermit crab during this time as well.

Last edited:

SteveZz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
The tank with the problem is about 3 years old and we never had problems with coral growth.

The tank I'm moving things to was setup using water from what is now the problem tank and is only about 6 months old.

SteveZz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
If that's the case wouldn't that slowly be removed through water changes? It's been over a month at this point.

We had also noticed the water becoming less clear. Do you think that could be some coral spawning / would that effect the other coral in the tank?

Last edited:

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
My tank was poisoned last year due to socks accidentally being poisoned by trapped LE soap in the rubber gasket of a front load washing machine killing all my sps and doing serious damage to my Lps. Zoas were not effected at all

SteveZz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
That sounds awful. Sorry to hear that. I however only rinsed my filter media (possibly freshwater by accident once a while back) but I don't think that's the issue. It is however good info to have since it might just mean Zoas are extremely tolerant of everything and not to look at what kills everything but zoas as the question.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: