Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Hey Guys:

Eric Cohen (used to be one of the owners of Sea Dwelling Creatures) is at a new company and he shared a link to a product they produce which they bill as an "instant quarantine" product. It is a two part dip, meant to treat fish before they are put into your tank.

Any thoughts on this? It looks interesting. I assume that part 1 is a formalin formulation and Part 2 is some kind of antibiotic/anti-parasitic?

The link to an older article he shared:

https://reefbuilders.com/2012/09/26/safety-stop-bluelife-usa/

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
Being that part of a quarantine is having the fish in a reduced stress environment where it can be coaxed into eating and fattening up a bit..... I call BS.

Not to mention there are reasons why medication treatments are meant to last on the order of days to week... It is because the medication is meant to be of a low toxicity per say so it causes less harm to the fish. The only way to effectively have a product work thag fast is by making it much more toxic and in turn you expose the fish to more stress more rapidly.

Last edited:

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
There are a lot of commercial fisheries that use similar solutions. The #1 reason to QT fishis to ensure that they are not carrying pathogens that can be spread to other fish. If this product kills most external parasites and parasites in the gills and doses the fish with a long lasting antibiotic I think it is great to use before putting fish in a QT or if you can't QT this is better than nothing.

Since it has been on thr market a few years I wonder what experiences people have had.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

sdcfish

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a lot of commercial fisheries that use similar solutions. The #1 reason to QT fishis to ensure that they are not carrying pathogens that can be spread to other fish. If this product kills most external parasites and parasites in the gills and doses the fish with a long lasting antibiotic I think it is great to use before putting fish in a QT or if you can't QT this is better than nothing.

Since it has been on thr market a few years I wonder what experiences people have had.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Thanks Alfredo.....You're smart to think about using Safety Stop for your fish....before you QT them or even if you have to put them directly into your aquarium like most hobbyists do.

This product is NOT a full quarantine product, but just increases your chances for success when QT is not an option.

Remember.....this is what the statement says on our website:

"Safety Stop is a simple and effective way to help protect your Saltwater and Freshwater aquarium fish from serious unwanted disease outbreaks caused by external parasites, and bacterial and fungal infections. New fish are often the source of infectious diseases that can wipeout an entire aquarium. Be proactive and give your fish a Safety Stop bath to significantly lower the risk of introducing deadly diseases."

I know that this product was developed very closely with our Vet, and General Husbandry manager from Sea Dwelling Creatures. We wanted to create a dip for the fish to really knock down the external parasites, as well as help coat the fish from scrapes or cuts.

Good luck...thanks for posting:)

Best regards,

Eric

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I know it is not a scam. Also, it is not "controversial" like garlic or the Albert Thiel (?) stuff.

If it is formalin based then it definitely will kill off any external parasites. The second part (it is a 2 step dip process) is supposedly a broad spectrum, long lasting antibiotic and per the email above some kind of "coating", so I am thinking something like stress coat?

I asked Anthony at The Reef Shoppe if he had heard of it and he says they actually carry it. I plan on picking up a pack to try it out next time I buy fish.

I can see this plus UV being a great option for me since I don't have room to set up a QT.

oh207

Advanced Reefer
Apex Freak
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
I support any product that will lead to more responsible reef keeping for our treasured pets.
I had the luxury of having a 20g QT for a while, which I upgraded last fall to a 30g QT, and I think I have one of the best QT process. However, I still kill a fair amount of fish in my short span in this hobby...a number that I will not admit to on a public forum. Every loss bothers me and I'm always looking to see how I can do things better.
What does upset me is when snake oil products are marketed as legitimate cures for diseases or pests. That really ticks me off.

This dip, while its not a complete cure, seems better than not doing anything at all. Especially for those who don't have a QT.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

b-ridge

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 87.8%
79   11   0
I'm not doubting or questioning if this works. I beleive if it worked more people would actually use it or have tried it. Any prevention is better than doing anything. I do find it puzzling the price was 4.99 each when it came out. Now some places have discontinued it and you can find it as low as 2.99 or buy one get one free

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
I had ordered this from poto awhile ago. I had used it prior to qt'ing fish.( not directly to display I used it while acclimating the fish. I believe at the time that was a watanbei angel and some wrasse I would say it was a positive experience. All the fish survived and did well after being in qt.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: