ReefFan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Problem #1: Whereas in the past, my refugium was producing 1 portion of Cheato every 2 days of bright green new growth, now growth has slowed significantly. A theory is that my Xenia farm has grown so much and as it pulses away, gobbling up surface area, its removing the nutrients faster than the Macro can get it. Dont get me wrong Im happy the nutrients get used up anyway they can. But there are still many friends who would like some of it and it limits my ability to provide.

I had planned on mowing alot of it down (the Xenia) and just have it grow in my sump (55 gall full of clean LR), but now I have to say i like the way it looks in there, pulsing and gently swaying around when the wavemakers kick on and off. So I figure as I continued to add coral pieces, I'd hack an area clear of xenia for each piece. Obviously Ill have to keep trimming back the Xenia on a regular basis. Then again Im starting to miss seeing LR surface lol. 1/4 of my rock in the MT has just become a field of PomPom.

I dunno what im gonna do yet but the question remains.. Could a large amount of pulsing Xenia cause MAcro Algae to halt growth significantly? BTW I feed ALOT, and always have been. There are PLENTY of nutrients goin into this system on a daily basis and im amazed the water remains ideal. I also dose Iron/Manganese once a month to replace elements lost do to macro growth and exportation.

So why has the growth slowed so much? Anyone have any thoughts?

Problem #2: Id like to know what species of coral like the strongest flow. I happened to pick up a dieing piece of some kind of Favia perhaps from good ole Don at Aqua Hut. He gave me this 6inch x 4 inch piece for like $10 because over half of it was dead and what was alive was a dull color, obviously on its way out. But im happy to say 2 months after putting it in one of the highest flow areas of my tank it has bounced back beautifully. Its probably the brightest coral in my tank, radioactive green-wise.

Im going to post a pic of it, as well as a couple others Id like IDs on. But Id also like to place other corals near it, in this high flow zone but dont know which species would be best candidates. If anyone can help me with these questions Id really appreciate it.

Just as a side note of gratitude.. MR continues to be THE best forum out there, and Ive been to quite a few. Im hoping it comes through for me again :P Pic soon to come, going down there to snap a few shots right now...

-Jay

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
yes it can and ive read threads where people use xenia to filter their water, so yes if it is uptaking enough nutrients it can slow the growth of the cheato, { disclaimer } i am no expert

ReefFan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
what if you were to cut the skimmer time and add a small bio load.. add more of a cleaner crew.. would that help?

Well as it is I have a HUGE bioload for any standard 75 gallon. I just added a 5 inch PB Tang yesterday, he's already a wonderful addition to this already fish-packed 4 ft tank. I have lets see,

1 Lrg CB Butterfly
1 Lrg Hippo Tang
1 Lrg PB Tang
1 Medium Majestic Angel
1 Medium Bicolor Angel
2 Mated Clarkii Clowns (female Lrg, male medium)
1 Leopard Wrasse
1 Lrg Black (LMB type, forget the name) Goby
1 Medium Anthias

3 XL Cleaner Shrimp
1 XL Blood Shrimp
3 XL Turbo Snails
2 Nudibranchs (1 2 inch Black type w/ spots, 1 sm Lettuce-lookin type)
3-4 Blue leg, red leg Hermits (various sizes)

2 Huge Purple Tip, hosted Nems

..and many different types of corals.

So its a pretty big bio load as it is with all those big fish and the clean up crew has really balanced it out well. In fact its probably because of my overfeeding that everything remains thriving. Some of these things actually rely on small random algae blooms to feed. With The PB Tang now chompin away at all the rock, my Cleaner workforce is solid.

I think its because Ive gone way beyond a basic filtration system for a 75. All that LR in the 55 gallon sump, with the 100 micron sock + 5 foot downdraft skimmer and 55 gallon remote fuge separated into 1/2 filter feeder display, 1/2 Macro Fuge + the homemade media reactor (aquaclear outside/hangon filter), filled with Pura Carbon, Chemipure Elite and toppped off with a Polyfilter. All these things become so effective for parameter stability as it is. With this Xenia pulsing everywhere and all the pods of various types swarming above mud and climbing around in the matrix of the Cheato, theres barely anything left for the Macro to use.

You are right though, never thought Id be saying Ill have to add even more nutrients than the livestock needs just so I can grow my Cheato lol. I guess for now I should be thankful the tank is doing as well as it is and forget about supplying NY with Cheato for a while. As it grows slowly, Ill make portions available, with the pods, to any interested MR folks. But one should not complain about excessive nutrient control. Its an insult to peeps out there struggling with hair algae and cyano blooms. All I can say is, use nature itself (refugium life and Xenia) as a gauge to monitor the efficiency of your filtration components. This stuff reponds to any excessive nutrient additions to the water column and will let ya know whats happenin without having to test. Thats been my goal for a while, looking for visual indicators of the tank's levels instead of testing constantly.

Thanks guys and happy reefing..

-Jay

Last edited:

ReefFan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Incidently, Xenia really is an amazing organism.. not even 12 hours after I hacked a few stalks off towards the very bottom, theres already small flowers forming from the remaining tissue.. 12 hours! Im amazed this stuff hasnt taken over the entire ocean lol.

ReefFan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Yea I guess they are rarely so comfy in most of the ocean, or rather the lagoon/reef areas. Its just in the confines of an aquarium that they grow like weeds. Like i said Ill let these attractive fields of pulsing and swaying Xenia thrive and just cut em down as they encroach on corals or I need to make room for new pieces.

Bottom line is I wont be able to produce the steady growth of Cheato and other Macro they I used to, until I mow down da Xenia. uys.. that was a hell of alot of explaination to come to a basic conclusion, too much Xenia does mean alot less Macro lol. Ya know i might as well just copy paste some of these posts and make a profile with it heh.

-Jay

Thanks g

Last edited:

ReefFan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
BTW perhaps I rambled on so much about Xenia and Cheato that yall missed that second question.. With room for new corals becomiing more and more scarce. Theres couple display areas in the tank that receive of alot of direct n strong flow.

Anyone know what species would work well in these places, other than Favia?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: