geldof

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
I'm using Tropic Marin Pro salt mix. When I first got the bucket, I mixed the salt good and measured Calcium and Alk levels at 450 and 8.8. I'm now at the bottom of the bucket and just ran another test after noticing changing Alk levels in the main display after water changes. The mix now measures at 320 and 6.0! Has anyone noticed such an extreme shift in their salt mix?!

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
Are you testing the new saltwater in a bucket, or are you testing the tank water? It sounds like you're testing the tank water and you need to be supplementing with dosing instead of only water changes

daisy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
that is truly bizarre and highly unlikely, since the salt in that bucket came from a larger mix which should be homogenous!

Is there any chance that some of your tank water got in there? perhaps your test kits are old?

Another possibility - how long did you allow the water to mix before you tested the second time? Perhaps the salt mix was not totally dissolved?

Very, very odd.

geldof

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
I was testing the newly mixed saltwater not the tank water. I let the water mix with heater and pump overnight. The tank tests at 450 calcium and 8.6 Alk. I am using Salifert test kits. I dose, BRS 2 part with Drew's dosers. All parameters, except NO3, are locked in.

I should mention that after recognizing the low levels in the salt mix, I supplemented to match the tanks parameters. After performing a 15 gallon WC in the 75 gallon main display, levels stayed solid. In the past they have dropped post WC further indicating low levels in the mix.

I'll test the Salifert kit and see if there are any discrepancies.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: