T

THEDLO

Rating - 100%
82   0   0
i think, stress on the think, it does use calcium and alk by relationship like Halimeda but not as much..i dont think its so significant tho that u would see a large change unless its a large amount u added.

btldreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
180   2   0
well... i have just recently started a refugium w/ chateo and culerpa and have not noticed a decrease of alk and calc. soon as added more sps i started to see that my levels were getting depleted but thats what is supposed to happen. i do weekly water changes to make sure my levels don't get to low. have you added any different corals lately or notice huge amounts of growth in the tank??

pauliwalnuts

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
noticed all 3 chems have been depleting at a faster rate since i added cheato and am wondering if its because of that or not?
Have you been leaving your windows open lately ? Because, when there's more oxygen in your water it causes your major trace elemnts (in this case alk, cal, mag) to work harder and deplete much quicker. LMK

Last edited:

Master Shake

captain of tying knots
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
it shouldnt, the chaeto depletes nitrates and phosphates. if you alternate your light cycle and have the sump light go on when the tank goes off then have the sump light go off when the tank goes on should actually buffer your alk, i forgot how but it actually does. I have chaeto in my system and all 3 of those are just fine and have to be added regularly anyway. Adding any sort of live stock to a tank should deplete those so that can be it, even bursts of coraline algae deplete those

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: