ROGERWILCO357

michigan reefer sps
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok i have been using Bionic 2 part solution and was told that bulk reef supply has a good 2 part solution that you mix and can save money to boot. On the Bionic it has been taking like 16ml to keep my tank stable from 425 to 450 ppm and i add this 16 ml daily..now my tank went down to 400 i missed a day and the brs stuff already mixed past the 24hr standing period , so i gave it a chance. checked with there calculator it said to bring it from 400ppm to 450 i had to add 17oz how could it be soo much. I question the amount but add 14 anyway and it put me over 500ppm. Is this common?

ECFENCING

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
You should bring it up over a few days. Put in 1/3 of the amount say 6oz and then test the next day to see what the calcium levels are. It's trial and error. Figure in displacement and tank thickness as well as how high you run your overflow into the water volume calculation. I see that you cut it back so that's good. I would also check your magnesium levels to make sure that it's not too low since that could affect the ionic balance. I'm no water chemistry expert but you should google Randy Holmes Farley as he's written many excellent articles on water chemistry/quality.

Did you test twice to make sure it's over 500ppm?

Boomer

Bomb Technician (EOD)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rodger

I sounds to to me like you made the mix to concentrated and why your Ca++ went up so high. It is safe to raise the Ca++ 50 ppm / day but often I advise to go with 25 ppm / day for the very reasons you just found out. Things will be fine at 500 ppm just let it come down on its own before you add anymore. However, until it does, do not let the pH or Alk get to high.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: