• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our saltwater aquarium community?
    JOIN NOW

Meaty24

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My alk is about about 30 and my calcium is too high at 500. Here is the story:

I have Salifert Alk and CA test kits. I tested the ALK and it took two full syringes to turn the color, which gives me about a reading of 30. I though the test kit spoiled and bought a brand new one. The new kit gave me the same reading and the calibration water was right on target.

I recently hooked up my calcium reactor, and believe I am giving it too much CO2 and thus melting the substrate too fast, thereby giving me a calcium reading of 500. That issue seems easy to fix, just turn off the reactor, let the rocks/corals absorb some of the calcium, then turn it back on in a few days and lower the CO2. But, how in the world can my Alk be 30? If my calcium is that high, shouldn't my Alk be too low? I don't know how to fix my issue. I really could use some help. Any ideas? If there is anyone willing to speak to me about this rather than emailing back and forth, send me your number to [email protected] and I will buzz you. Thanks a million to whoever helps me fix this.

AlohaTropics

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Common misconception. Calcium reactors primary purpose is to dose alkalinity and calcium is actually the secondary element. This is why you MUST check the dkh of the effluent. It should be around 35-50dkh.

When you balance the systems alkalinity consumption with the alkalinity replenishment from the reactor, your calcium in theory should be balanced because the corals will calcify at a ratio with dkh consumption.

Sometimes, it could be possible that even with a ca reactor, you will need to supplement a small amount of Calcium dosing. This is for extreme calcium consumption cases.

But keep mind, the primary thing the ca reactor is doing is keeping your Alkalinty stable...calcium replenishment is a secondary effect!

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

AlohaTropics

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
I would do 20% water changes until your dkh comes down to where you normally keep it. Then measure your daily dkh consumption and adjust the
Drip rate on the Ca reactor to keep it level daily.

The bubble rate should be adjusted by testing the pH in the reactor. Your pH should read around 6.5. If it's below that, reduce the bubble count until it levels off there.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

guri

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
you should let only 30 40 drips per minute to enter in ur tank and after checking alk level adjust as needed you can crash your tank easily if u dont have experience with reactor if ur alk is high ph will be high also if u let a lot of co2 ur ph will drop dramatically better to turn off rector and start later when u adjust water parameters you will see after 3-5 days you ganna have die off of some corals even later some corals show bad reaction 30 alk is too high

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
The drip rate and bubble count is all dependent upon how much ca/alk his tank is consuming. If you have almost no corals, then even a very low drip/bubble count is too much. If your tank is fully packed, then even 40 drips per minute might be too little. I've had my ca reactor effluent in a continuous stream before because that was the only way to keep up with the demand of the tank. The only sure way is to continuously test daily until you think the calcium reactor is tuned in, and even then, test weekly or bi-weekly to double check.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: