• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

NYPDFrogman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
within last month I have had a bloom of Asterina starfish
was considering getting a Harlequin shrimp to eradicate them
within an hour or so after the lights go out the front glass is covered with them
anyone have any experience with harlequins and asterinas

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
they will eat and clean out almost all of them, problem is after they have gotten most or all of them you have to start buying cc starfish and they will go through 1 in a week to 2 weeks. just sold my pair had bought them to clean out asteria stars and it worked

jr973

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
415   0   0
id definetly go with the harlies there great for that only problem is once they are done eating those asterina's like rick said u will have to start buying choclate chips or something too feed em or they will die from starvation

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
+1 on easy catching 'em.......put the cc in the net and they'll march right in there.
btw they consume asterina's at an unbelievable pace....one pair cleaned out a 200 gal. tank in just weeks. had them for over a year before they "disappeared"....definitely not from starvation......i like to think of old age?
a couple of months later i see some asterina's again...not many but they're there!!:irked:

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
+1 on easy catching 'em.......put the cc in the net and they'll march right in there.
btw they consume asterina's at an unbelievable pace....one pair cleaned out a 200 gal. tank in just weeks. had them for over a year before they "disappeared"....definitely not from starvation......i like to think of old age?
a couple of months later i see some asterina's again...not many but they're there!!:irked:

Same here bud. One then the other a few weeks later. I've heard the life span of these guys is only about 2 years in general, but I'm not positive where I heard that.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: