• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

clownlover

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Ok first you number will go up first as the pellets start to builb up bac . I hope you started with a small amount of pellets first and i hope your using a pellet reactor . Alot of people say you can use a TLF reactor yeah if you running them on a 10g . There are new reactor out now like Reef OCT make now a pellet reactor . You need a big camber to builb bac in the pellets if you use a TLF reactor you will only have a small amount of bac in the chamber and the pellets are not working at 100% . If you look at all the pellet reactors thay are wide and long so every pellets has plenty of room for bac to grow and feed. You will not get this with a TLF reactor. So have a good reactor and good flow throw the reactor and a really good skimmer . It will take 2 to 3 mounths before levels will drop 6 to 8 before there down to 0 depending how bad your system is.

he has the XL Nextreef Pellet reactor , http://www.marinedepot.com/NextReef...ctors-NextReef-NX1151-FIFRISCR-NX1153-vi.html

tons of room. i will wait and see i guess. just that i read peoples posts about values going to zero inside of a week.

wonder which phosphate reading is right the hanna or the salifert. its a huge difference

gparr

Active Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sticking my nose in here, even though this thread seems to have died out.

I've been using Vertex pellets for several months on an NPS tank with excellent success. Here are the instructions I followed. You have to have a good skimmer, preferably one that is oversized for the tank. The effluent from the bio-pellet reactor should exit near the skimmer intake. You must start with a small portion of the total quantity of pellets you will eventually use. I started with about 10%. For total quantity, I followed the manufacturer's instructions. Soak the pellets in RO/DI water overnight. This prevents them from clumping in the reactor. Do not use sponges in the reactor. Remove them and replace them with plastic needle-point canvas cut to fit the reactor. Sponges clog up too fast and will cause problems and needless maintenance. The pellets must tumble at a decent rate to keep them loose and in constant contact with incoming water.

Test the water for nitrates when you start. In a week or so, you'll see the nitrates start to drop. When this happens, add another portion of pellets, i.e., another 15% to 20% of the final quantity. Keep doing this until you have introduced the total quantity called for for your system. After that, it's simply a matter of replacing pellets as they wear out/get used.

Initially, I had the pellets moving too fast. Nitrates dropped, but not to near zero as expected. I played with the flow rate, in my case slowing it down, and after a couple of weeks must have found the right flow rate because nitrates dropped like a stone and stayed near zero.

Get a good reactor for this. I use the Vertex reactor. It has union connections on the intake and outflow, making it easy to disconnect the reactor so I can add new pellets or do maintenance. It also has a valve, making it easy to control flow.

Gary

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: