Galantra

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
I need a bit of help with my new 120gal U divider tank. I got a great deal on this tank on good old MR!
I wanted to use this tank as an SPS dominate tank. But my concern is with its unique design what would be the best way to add enough flow in this take to best suit this type of tank? My concern also is I am not looking to create a clean look without the bulky power-heads. I was contemplating on drilling additional holes if this will help me. But worried if I could actually drill it. Wanted to hear some ideas on trying to make something work out.

Also wanted to hear Skimmer choices on this build. Underneath the stand has not enough space and was debating to build on extending the length of the back side of the tank to incorporate more storage space. Any views on that?

Here are some photos of the tank:
IMG00077-20110303-2356.jpg

IMG00075-20110303-2355.jpg

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Aqua Vim tanks are notorious in the business. They aren't designed for reefs really and they only have a single wall overflow that's slotted top and bottom, so it's more a glorified strainer. There isn't a ton of room for equipment to be discretely placed inside. They aren't known for their high quality, so odds are there isn't really any tempered glass, although I have never known of anyone trying to drill one so don't quote me on that. It isn't an ideal setup by any means but if you're really dedicated to it I'm sure you can figure out something nice.

I will say that you need to get a custom sump built as the stands are built with very little room to get anything in there. You could always build a unit beside the tank to house a decent sized sump and that would help a lot but these tanks never had a lot of thought put into the design.

If you need help feel free to PM me, I have seen more than my fair share of these tanks.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
So this is the dry well for the powerhead we talked about. I didn't go nuts and add a second wall to the overflow in the design so it would be easier to figure out what's going on. The first wall should be slotted for flow purposes and the second one solid and sealed all the way up to just below the first walls teeth at the top.

The dry box can be placed anywhere on the wall but within reach so it isn't a huge pain if you need to maintenance anything. These designs are also not to scale they're just to illustrate the design of the dry well.

overflow_dry_well1.png

image of the overflow tower with the box and an enlarged view of the box for detail on structure.

dry_well_close_up2.png

more detail of the box
dry_well_close_up1.png

another angle on the box so you can see the design.

The tower can be designed however you want. I'm just new to sketchup and the straight lines were easier to work with for a quick design.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: