evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
I was in the area earlier today so wanted to write a quick review for anyone interested.

First off, one of the owners, John (if I remember correctly), is very nice and was a pleasure to speak with. He's been in the industry for quite some time and he did not come off as pig headed or only thought of one way to do things. I liked that he knew there was not 1 way of reefing. I did also notice he loves what he does and is looking out for the reefer but also needs to remember he does own a business.

A+ for him!

Livestock
Fish: Healthy but didn't really look into what was available. I am not looking for any fish at the moment.
Corals: 3 main coral systems. Mainly LPS, Zoas/Palys and 2 frag systems
Dry Goods
Not overwhelming
It was a good selection of things you need once your setup is already in place. It was not overwhelming like a Reef Encounter, Hackensack. Where you have A TON of dry goods but you won't really need any of it.​

Awesome:
They had a media station where you can get HC GFO/Carbon/DI resin you may need. This was completely different from any other LFS i've ever been to. It looks like one of those candy stations in a mall.

They also had cultured live rotifiers, phyto and copepods in an acrylic container.​

If I didn't just buy a lot of new toys for my 70 upgrade I would have purchased a lot of the coral sitting in the tanks. Some "ultra" or rainbow corals to make a tank POP. Different color blastos that I haven't seen posted on here or RC. So it is definitely a nice place to purchase from.

Overall, I would definitely re-visit this vendor especially during one of their "class" sessions. I would love to learn how to culture my own phyto/rotifiers in person vs a youtube video.

The raceway tank setup for SPS wasn't setup yet and that will be big once it's up. There is a lack of SPS at the moment for those who are SPS freaks. He was hoping that the setup would be completed this weekend?

Don't forget to sign-up for their newsletters!

Last edited:

nj reef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, great review, great vendor,

Is this the first time you visit this vendor and you won't really need any of the dry goods (A TON) from Reef Encounter?

"It was not overwhelming like a Reef Encounter, Hackensack. Where you have A TON of dry goods but you won't really need any of it.​

"Overall, I would definitely re-visit this vendor...

Last edited:

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
That was the first time at this particular vendor.

I grew up at reef encounter with my grandfather. He was my inspiration into the hobby so I like visiting it.

But now that I am grown and have more knowledge than he did plus 20+ years in advanced technology. I go there and see how useless some of their supplies are. They house old school skimmers or lower end skimmers no one here would buy or more than half is for freshwater. So it's useless for the reef enthusiast.

ACC was geared towards Saltwater hobbyist from what I saw.

nj reef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grew up at reef encounter with my grandfather. He was my inspiration into the hobby so I like visiting it...

Where you have A TON of dry goods but you won't really need any of it...

I did also notice he loves what he does and is looking out for the reefer but also needs to remember he does own a business...

Grew up at Reef Encounter where you have A TON dry goods but you won't really need any of it, Maybe it's old school the owner of Reef Encounter forgot he does own a business.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: