SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've ordered some blasto and a nice purple and blue chalice. I know the basic needs of each. Any inside tips from anyone with experience? I hear the Blastos have a nasty rep for going bad for no aparent reason? Anyone??

Thanks for the help.

B .

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, blastos will go south for no reason. Some don't like light, but contrary to popular perception, some blastos LOVE light (even close to direct halides) from my experience. Chalices, for the most part, are lower light corals and tend to bleach easily, so be careful with your lighting. Also be careful to observe sweepers that a few genera of chalices can send out. Other then that, no special care.

SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so is it a suicide mission withe the blastos? I bought one polyp that is purple blue and red with neon green centers :) Anything I can do to help my chances with it?

B

bleedingthought

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My blasto loves a good feeding every now and again! It'll even grab flakes with its tentacles and gulp it down sometimes!!! :D

And yeah, be careful with your over-the-top lighting!!!

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blastos aren't a lost cause, but some specimens will just die for no observable reasons :(

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, it's still alive and slowly regaining its color. It totally bleached at one point, but the neon pink and green are coming back for sure.

SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
check out my other thread... of the new stuff... is that the same kind of coral you're talking about? and LEN.. what caused the problem with it???

b

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have blastos for a long time. I don't have any experience of it go south without any reason, unlike other soft coral such as Xenia. There is always some issues that cause its demise. I only have two blastos. got one that is more than 5 yrs. ago and it is still doing well. Another one went south when I move my tank. It would be 7 yrs old, and at that time, it has grown from 3 polyps to a big fist. :(

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey b, i think it bleached after being exposed to the new lights (from AC 14K to BLV 14K) for a few weeks. When it started bleaching, it bleached fast. Now that I have the AC 14K back on, it is reviving.

SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cool.. thanks for the heads up guys.. maybe i can make it work for me and grow the bastos into the size of my HEAD!! which is HUGE!

B

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: