SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got what is suppose to be a watermelon chalace coral today.. but the coloration seems a little off.

It looks way to dark. Almost like poo. The tissue seems ok.. and it isnt injured..

Will a chalice sulk and turn dark like that during shipping?

Just currious.

B.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the ones I've seen (including mine) ship very well and arrive with the brilliant colors you see in pictures. There are a lot of "fake" watermelon chalices being offered, some of which are very nice but some of which are a far cry from the original colony; You might want to check the pedigree on the one you got.

SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmm

Stupid question here, but how much tissue expansion does a chalace normally exhibit under good conditions?

Right now mine is pretty much pointy skeleton. Tissue is still there and in tact, but just not blown up like I would like to c.

B

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a lot of the pink/red echinos the growth edge has a distinctly gray cast to it. That may be the entire issue here, if you got a frag. In which case yes, expect it to color up as it grows a bit.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most chalices don't expand much - a couple of mm at most. The watermelon chalice, when swelled, isn't noticably bigger, but the corallites do become masked by the tissue.

SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, I don't expect it to be a real watermelon to tell you the truth :) It was advertised as such.. but we shall see.

If anyone has one.. post a pic for me :)

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here was mine before it bleached:
watermelon2_148.jpg

The corals are accurate and even more intense under bluer lights.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your chalice troubles. However, even though I see lots of vendors blame the discrepancy between what landed at the customer vs what was pictured as "shipping stress", IME a coral isn't going to drastically change colors just cause it was shipped overnight.

stubbsz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. That looks exactly like my chalice that was sold as an Alien-Eye-Chalice. It was a little bowner than that but now has that colouration, a really bright growth ring (a little more "luminous" than the what I see in your picture and the green/yellow eyes.

I must get a good photo sometimg to have you lot tell me it's a fake-watermelon chalice :) I thnk I spent 40$ on it (high for me, but the green looked really stunning in the store.)

-Adrian

steveweast

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are several watermelon pedigrees out there....but....as the name implies.....the field should be a bright pink/red.... the growing edge should be bright green.... and the eyes should be a green/yellow. This isn't one of the pedigrees....it was a wild colony; but, it gives you an idea as to the coloration required to be in the "watermelon" genre.

echino1.jpg

SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was. Thats what's confusing. The coral has all the shape and so forth of the one on the webpage, its just a different color. The webpage pic was under 20k and I have 14K, but it shouldnt make THIS much difference.

I'm convinced its stress related now. I've observed a few more signs of coral stress since I last posted. Tank is in good shape, so it should come around shortly though.

B

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: