Cibo

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have a chalice in my tank that I got from someone that persons tank cracked and the coral was realy stressed it been about 8 months the coral has been in many diffrent spots in my tank. Dont see why so many people go nutz over chalice, but to each their own. this month I tryed putting in front on the sand, it seems to be doing well there, I wanted to start feeding it! what is the best way to feed a chalice, and what to they like to eat! This is a nice size peace it is about 4 '' by 2.5'' with several eyes.

thanks

N

nycoralguy

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
what you should do is really stop moving the chalice, find a nice place, set it, leave it, the more you move it, the more stress you put on it. You can try turing off all units that creates current, put a small peice of mysis shrimp next to it, it should abosrb it if is healthy, remember to turn everything BACK ON after it eats. BTW, most people like Chalices is beacuse of the varient of colors, they grow like weed when comfortable. Easy money for fraggers, but the color must be intense. hope this helps you out!

Cibo

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I would move it because it was not doing good but it is coloring up well now.
Dont know what kind it is it starting to get nice pink dots all over it...

grknyer

Official Lurker
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
what you should do is really stop moving the chalice, find a nice place, set it, leave it, the more you move it, the more stress you put on it.

Chalices grow like weed when comfortable.

+1 on not moving them to much.

9 out of ten chalices do not grow like weeds unless you have a secret that I'm not aware of. If so please elaborate. I'm sure all my other chalice collector friends on this site will agree.

Last edited:

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
The majority of them prefer real low-low/med light. Shady areas are great for them. That's where they are going to be thriving. I would mount it on something and raise it over the sand so the sand doesn't prevent new growth. The majority of chalices are going to have a soft bottom around the edges, you cover that or prevent that while its not growing on a rock or something and its not going to grow as quick, if that makes sense.

And you don;t need to feed them. They grow relatively the same fed or not fed. And thats slow. Chopped up mysis works best if your going to, just turn off the PH's and drop some on it, see if it takes it in.

They usually slime up, and suck in the slime containing the food around the mouths on most chalices.

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
I agree, they don't like to be moved often otherwise they will grow slower IMO from stress of getting used to the new spot. They like low light.
As for feeding them, mine has tentacles come out at night which will pull in any mysis or other foods into their eyes, but they do not need to be fed and I have not noticed any increased growth from feeding

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
What is the best postion to put them in?

Lower in the tank in the upright position.
you can put them on the sandbed, but like someone else mentioned as long as the sandbed isn't being stirred up because of the sides get covered in sand, it will slow or receed the tissue growth. Otherwise you can put it on a rock

Cibo

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
here is a photo of the chalice maybe someone can tell me what kind it is?

Attachments

• IMG00026chal.jpg
    IMG00026chal.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 146

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: