TH3C1SC0K1D

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have been testing my Calcium and Alkalinity levels recently and the numbers just did not sit right with me. So I purchased an Elos Magnesium test kit so I could check my Magnesium level as that is where I believe the culprit lies. Sure enough my Magnesium level was 1200ppm which is about 150ppm below where I would like it to be. So I purchased from Brightwell Aquatics Magnesion-P Magnesium Supplement that I could mix myself and dose into my aquarium.

Now according to the instructions that after mixing my solution that 1ml would raise my Magnesium level in 1 gallon of water by 6ppm. So I have approximately 50 gallons of water so I came to the calculation that 1 ml would raise the Magnesium level in my aquarium by 0.12ppm (6 divided by 50 gallons of saltwater = 0.12ppm. The instructions state that the maximum dosage should be no more then 10ml per day per 20 gallons of water. So I am calculating that I can dose about 25ml per day which would raise my Magnesium level by 3ppm per day (25ml multiplied by 0.12ppm - 3ppm). It will take me about 50 days to get my Magnesium level up at this rate but that is not taking into account water changes on my system. So I guess my question is do my calculations seem correct? I seem to think so. What do you think?

BrightwellMagnesium-1.jpg

BrightwellMagnesium-2.jpg

ElosMagnesium-3.jpg

View My Aquarium Journal Thread

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
Your calculations seems fine, I think brithwell purposely stated the maximum dose as 10ml per 20g to prevent people from overdosing. I don't know this product, but I am using ESV Magnesium and the instructions says that I can raise MG levels by 15ppm/day safely.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since when does Brightwell make sense with many of their products. :lol:

FWIW, you can make your own mag supplement much cheaper buying the magnesium chloride in bulk using food grade or better and using Epson Salts from the grocery store. This adds the added advantage of using the proper ratio of mag choride to mag sulfate depending on how you supplement calcium.

Mag Supplementing Recommendations:
Mag sulfate and mag chloride are both important when increasing and/or maintaining your mag level. The mag sulfate will increase your sulfate whereas mag chloride will increase your chloride in your water. The idea is to keep the sulfate and chloride in balance in your water column. This leads to using them in the proper ratio to maintain the proper balance.
Randy calculated the ratios to maintain the proper balance of chloride to sulfate. It will depend on what you are using to maintain your calcium with.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you are using Calcium chloride (two-part) to maintain your calcium, then use:
5 cups of mag chloride + 3 cups of mag sulfate in a total of one gallon with rodi water. Mix and you can add the particles in the solution.
An Improved Do-it-Yourself Two-Part Calcium and Alkalinity Supplement System
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you are using kalk water or reactors to maintain your calcium, then use:
7.25 cups mag chloride + .75 cups of mag sulfate.
Do-It-Yourself Magnesium Supplements for the Reef Aquarium
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-07/rhf/index.php
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you want to bump up your mag level in your tank or you want to increase the mag level in your salt mix or natural seawater, then use:
This is perfectly balanced with what is found in sea water and does not take into consideration any additions of chloride from calcium additives.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you are using reactors (and/or kalk water) and also supplement with calcium chloride, then perhaps a good ratio to use would be:
7 cups mag chloride + 1 cup mag sulfate. :)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can make your own mag supplement much cheaper and it has the added advantage of using the proper ratio fo mag chloride to mag sulfate depending on how you maintain your calcium level. ;)

Mag Supplementing Recommendations:
Mag sulfate and mag chloride are both important when increasing and/or maintaining your mag level. The mag sulfate will increase your sulfate whereas mag chloride will increase your chloride in your water. The idea is to keep the sulfate and chloride in balance in your water column. This leads to using them in the proper ratio to maintain the proper balance.
Randy calculated the ratios to maintain the proper balance of chloride to sulfate. It will depend on what you are using to maintain your calcium with.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you are using Calcium chloride (two-part) to maintain your calcium, then use:
5 cups of mag chloride + 3 cups of mag sulfate in a total of one gallon with rodi water. Mix and you can add the particles in the solution.
An Improved Do-it-Yourself Two-Part Calcium and Alkalinity Supplement System
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you are using kalk water or reactors to maintain your calcium, then use:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you want to bump up your mag level in your tank or you want to increase the mag level in your salt mix or natural seawater, then use:
This is perfectly balanced with what is found in sea water and does not take into consideration any additions of chloride from calcium additives.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you are using reactors (and/or kalk water) and also supplement with calcium chloride, then perhaps a good ratio to use would be:
7 cups mag chloride + 1 cup mag sulfate. :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: