• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
I switched to DIY two part last week using BRS calcium chloride and soda carbonate. I used Randy's no. 1 recipe for both calcium and alk supplement and I have a question regarding Alk part and pH. Randy wrote that recipe one is for people whos pH is normal to low, so I followed this route as my ph swings between 8.0-8.25 during the day. However, when I add alk part pH changes instantly from 8.0 to 8.3 in the morning and it takes several hours for it to decrease to 8.2. I add second time in the afternoon and pH went up from 8.25 to 8.5. Do you observe alike effect using Randy's recipe #1? I switched to using baking soda for the alk part today and it doesn't do anything with my pH so far. Please help me understand if my probe is messed up or if it's normal. Thanks

Boomer

Bomb Technician (EOD)
Vendor
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smog

from 8.0 to 8.3 in the morning and it takes several hours for it to decrease to 8.2

This is because that sup has more Sodium carbonate which removes some of the CO2, which causes the pH to rise. If one used more of a buffer with Sodium bicarbonate the opposite happens and the pH drops, due the reaction giving off CO2. BS has much less of an impact in rising the pH than Sodium carbonate. To stop this large swing just add less at a time. Meaning, do not add it all at once or just add some more BS to your #1. In short, you are really using this Alk sup, when your pH issues really do not need it, as your pH is not into the 7's.

Sorry for being so late Smog I must have just missed this post some how.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: