yesjenks

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
May seem like a silly question; does gravity effect fish at all?

When I'm in a pool if I don't swim I'll sink.

I'm watching my fish swim around, rather, lack of swimming and they don't sink. . . yet my stingrays sink as soon as they stop flapping their discs.

Wondering what some of your thoughts are.

Mods, sorry in advance if this is in the wrong section.

Would fish be able to swim in a tank where no gravity was present? Same question reversed.

Last edited:

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Gravity affects fish. Not all fish have swim bladders and they need to swim constantly to stay in the water column if they are isotonic with the salinity of the water around them.
If they are less saline they will float, equal or more saline they will sink.
And if you stop swimming in a pool you should float, unless you exhale and hold no air in your lungs. Even a freshly dead body floats.

Og Drogon

Freshwater monster
Rating - 94.1%
32   2   0
Gravity affects fish. Not all fish have swim bladders and they need to swim constantly to stay in the water column if they are isotonic with the salinity of the water around them.
If they are less saline they will float, equal or more saline they will sink.
And if you stop swimming in a pool you should float, unless you exhale and hold no air in your lungs. Even a freshly dead body floats.

+1
Yes Gravity does effect everything in the universe except dark matter. But that's a whole different ball game.
It's just some fish or life forms find ways to manipulate Gravity 0_o

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
Next time you are in a pool, take a deep breath and go under water. While underwater blow out all air in your lungs. You will then sink as the air in your lungs was helping you float. Body shape/mass effects float/sink as well.

radiata

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I believe that recent testing on both Jupiter and Saturn have demonstrated that fish swim lower in their respective tanks due to the additional pull of gravity...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: