Paolissimo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
When I mix my ESV salt I use a digital scare to measure the different portions. I take into consideration the weight of containers that I use to measure the different portions. So for the water I take into consideration the weight of the 5gal bucket. For 5gal of water I mix 504g of salt, but my salinity is always 1020-1022, so i have to add more. Mag, Calc and Alk seems to be where they are suppose to, but salinity is always low. My ro/di water is at about 78 degrees when I mix everything.
The bucket that I use is the classic 5gal orange home depot bucket. The people that use ESV salt, do you find that you have to add more salt then what the instructions say?
Thanks

Widdy

Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
How are you measuring 5 gallons of water? When I first started with ESV, I didn't know where 5 gallons of water is exactly in a 5 gallon bucket. Then I noticed a line (CoralLife bucket) about 2" below the rim that indicated that was 5 gallons. I have the orange HD buckets as well, and I don't believe they have an indicator line for 5g. Or you can measure out 41.7lbs of water and that should give you 5 gallons as well.

Paolissimo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
How are you measuring 5 gallons of water? When I first started with ESV, I didn't know where 5 gallons of water is exactly in a 5 gallon bucket. Then I noticed a line (CoralLife bucket) about 2" below the rim that indicated that was 5 gallons. I have the orange HD buckets as well, and I don't believe they have an indicator line for 5g. Or you can measure out 41.7lbs of water and that should give you 5 gallons as well.
I use a digital scale to measure the weight of the water. I use the scale that we use in my house to weight our self, and to measure the salt i use a cooking digital scale. How much salt do you put in for 41lb of water?

Widdy

Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
One other question, are you measuring salinity right after you added the sodium chloride part? I noticed measuring for SG after ALL the parts are in to be more accurate. I don't know what the other 3 parts does to the water.

Boomer

Bomb Technician (EOD)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paol

For 5gal of water I mix 504g of salt, but my salinity is always 1020-1022,

Of course it is :D The salt mix has water in it which you need to take into consideration. You need to weigh out 35 grams of salt mix and add it to 965 ml or of RO/DI of water or 3.5 grams in 95.6 ml of RO/DI water and then check the Salinity. You will see it is NOT 35 ppt or 1.0264. Water in some salt can be as much as 4 ppt. Thus your Salinity is 35 - 4 = 31 ppt and not 35 ppt.

Paolissimo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
The ESV instruction say to add 504g of salt to 40.1lb of water, well for me, it's actually 36lb for 504g of salt. Boomer I just saw your post, so I didn't try your measurements. Widdy, yes i tested after everything was added. Basically I added salt, mag and A+B to two gal of water, and then slowly added more water, and once i reached 35ppm, I weighted and the all thing weighted 36lb (i believe the bucket is about 1-2lb)so technically the recommended, measurement are for 34lb of water.

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
i made a measuring stick out of a piece of pvc with markings every 5 gal. for my 44 gal. brute container.

i make 40 gal. at a time so i can't weight the water. i measure the water by volume but all other ingredients by weight using a digital kitchen scale and i get it in the 1.0256 range pretty much every time.

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
The ESV instruction say to add 504g of salt to 40.1lb of water, well for me, it's actually 36lb for 504g of salt. Boomer I just saw your post, so I didn't try your measurements. Widdy, yes i tested after everything was added. Basically I added salt, mag and A+B to two gal of water, and then slowly added more water, and once i reached 35ppm, I weighted and the all thing weighted 36lb (i believe the bucket is about 1-2lb)so technically the recommended, measurement are for 34lb of water.

are you using the chart that came with the salt? my chart has it -final batch of 5.00 gal., 40.8 lbs.(18.5kg.) of rodi, 454 gm. sodium chloride, 125 gm. mag. sulfate, 243 gm. liquid a, and 106 gm. liquid b.

jscarlata

Aspiring Reefer
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I don't have or use a digital scale, I still use the measuring scoops and I always find I have to add another cup or 2 of salt, everytime. I use the 44 brute as well and will either make 20 or 40 gal and it's always the same, after adding all parts and letting it mix at temp it's always low by a few ppt, last batch came in at 32 after following the mix instructions.

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
i just made a new 40 gal. batch last night. it tested 1.025-6 today.
i'm using a re-calibrated deep six hydrometer. at its marking of 1.022, it is actually 1.025 on the calibrated dd h20 refractometer.
the hydrometer swing arm is right between 1.022-1.023....which should be just about 1.0256.

Last edited:

Paolissimo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
are you using the chart that came with the salt? my chart has it -final batch of 5.00 gal., 40.8 lbs.(18.5kg.) of rodi, 454 gm. sodium chloride, 125 gm. mag. sulfate, 243 gm. liquid a, and 106 gm. liquid b.
Yes, but i am taking into consideration the weight of the container, so the bucket is about 1-2lb and the measuring cup for the salt is about 15g.
I just mixed another "5gal" with the measurement i got yesterday (36lb of water and 504g of salt), but the water is cold, so I won't know the exact salinity until tomorrow, when the temp stabilizes to 78.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: