Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
You guys/gals may recall that I had a semi crash last spring messing with the PH in my 155 Bow Front mixed reef.:eek: Since then I have not dosed anything nor had I tested the parameters.
I have been adding a few small SPS which are doing OK. They are keeping their color, and some are even growing. Problem is that I am not seeing any polyp extension with the exception of the Ora Green Bird's Nest, and the Ora Green Stylophora, and somewhat on the Pink w/purple polyp Bird's Nest.

My first thought was the flow in my tank which is 9600 when all the output from the 4 #4 koralias, and the 2 return pumps flow was added. But in talking with another reefer he asked me about the alk. Since I had not been testing I could not give an answer. So yesterday prior to the usual weekly water change I tested.
The following are the results of the levels prior to the w/c:
Mag 1320
Alk 6.8 dkh
Cal 360
Four hours after the 20% (30gal.) w/c with IO salt the levels are as follows:
Mag 1440
Alk 8.0 dkh
Cal 420

All levels were increased nicely to what I would think are optimal levels.

My dilemma is that the alk. & cal. are dropping quite a bit within 7 days, and yes I could dose daily to keep them where they should be.
But what happens when I do the usual weekly water change? The new water will bump the levels up, and if I am keeping the levels more or less on point by dosing; then that leads me to believe that I will end up with levels that are way to high. I am just guesstimating since I have not yet done the above.

I don't think it is a good thing to just do what I've been doing so far because as stated at the top I am not seeing PE on the majority of the SPS.

So what to do is the question?

Thanks for any, and all help on this one.:hug:

Jarrett

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
i dose every day even on my water change day and dont see a problem with my params awi, i think your better off dosing every day to keep the swing to a minimal. and as far as the PE look really close at the flow in the area your sps is, if its to harsh your polyps wont open thats what i have noticed with mine.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Well, if you plan on keeping more sps, u need stability.
you are causing a small alk swing by not dosing between water changes.

I would consider some dosing to maintain levels

I agree!! But the question still stands....

If my weekly water changes bumps the numbers up, then what will happen if I dose daily?
I do know that daily dosing would keep the level where I would like them to be.
That is not the problem, nor my question.

My question is more in line with what will happen when I do the usual water change.
Example: I am dosing keeping the levels were they should be, and I am successful. Then I do a water change. That water change bumps the levels up higher then what I want/need them to be. Then what? Test daily until the levels start to fall off, and then start dosing again?:scratch:

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
i dose every day even on my water change day and dont see a problem with my params awi, i think your better off dosing every day to keep the swing to a minimal. and as far as the PE look really close at the flow in the area your sps is, if its to harsh your polyps wont open thats what i have noticed with mine.

Thanks Jarrett! The flow was my first thought.:) None of my pumps or returns are pointed in the path of any of the corals.
The levels are what I am actually looking at now.;)
If you look at my previous post (#4), I tried to explain better what it is I am trying to ask.lol

Rating - 100%
87   0   0
I'm still kind of confused with your question.

I think it depends on your salt.

Ie: I use Red Sea coral pro. It contains higher levels than I run my tank at. So i skip dosing on water change day. If I was to dose that day I will have a larger then normal swing.

If I was to use a salt with matching levels of my tank I would still continue my daily dose.

If you dose to keep your levels in check and perform a water change with similar parameter water then they will remain the same.

Remove 5 gallons
Replace 5 gallons

You will replace with fresh salt that has the same parameters while removing or replenishing anything lost.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
I'm still kind of confused with your question.

I think it depends on your salt.

Ie: I use Red Sea coral pro. It contains higher levels than I run my tank at. So i skip dosing on water change day. If I was to dose that day I will have a larger then normal swing.

If I was to use a salt with matching levels of my tank I would still continue my daily dose.

If you dose to keep your levels in check and perform a water change with similar parameter water then they will remain the same.

Remove 5 gallons
Replace 5 gallons

You will replace with fresh salt that has the same parameters while removing or replenishing anything lost.

WOW, although confused by my wording you managed to answer my question perfectly!!!:groupflip
Thank you!:hug:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: