KuyaMark

Pinoy Reef Addict!
Rating - 99.4%
173   1   0
Hey gang i just tested my alk & ca using hannah meter
Alk - 5.264 dkh
Ca- 470
I know my alk is low how do i bring it up using a bubble magus doser with esv 2 part, what measurements should i dose ?
Btw the salt i am using is the redsea coral pro salt 120 gal tank 40 gal sump
Total vol 160 gal

Thanks in advance

Rating - 100%
87   0   0
What's your salinity at?
What's your mag at?

I haven't set my doser up yet, but you definitely want to raise that alk as soon as possible (without risking to much of a swing)

With esv you need 1 ml per gallon to raise alk approx 2dkh

And 1ml per gallon to raise cal 15 pp

I PERSONALLY would split this into three doses. 1 tonight and 2 tomorrow

What is your total volume with rock/sand displacement? If let's say 140 gallons I would suggest starting by dosing 70 ml tonight, 70 ml in the morning, and 70 ml in the evening. That should raise your alk close to an "acceptable" range an then you can start testing to figure out your usage.

But please let me know your salinity and mag before proceeding

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Ok, have you been manually dosing? Or is this just what you are left with from past waterchange?

Your mag is good, cal is pretty close to spot on for 1026 with Red Sea coral pro but that alk is dangerously low IMO.

I'd go with 70 ml tonight, 70 ml in morning, 70 in afternoon. Then test again. High flow area away from directly hitting corals and space out alk and cal doses!(If you can break it down into smaller doses that would work also!)

Set up doser off tank and monitor for a day or two before setting on reef.

KuyaMark

Pinoy Reef Addict!
Rating - 99.4%
173   1   0
Mbg75- i havent setup the doser yet i was running a cal reactor previously

Johnnyj- this is whats left after the water change i havent dose anything will running gfo lower my alk ? Ill follow your suggestion with 70 ml tonight then in the am then on the afternoon then re test

mbg75

DIATOM MAGNET
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
The BM doser is easy to use, but you need to have a ball park number on what your daily usage is to start with.

Bring your alk up slow. You can retest it 2 hours after each dose to see where it's at

Rating - 100%
87   0   0
No GFO won't permanently lower alk, I have read somewhere that it can only temporarily lower alk on initial change. But that should only be a few seconds if you see any at all. (I'm guessing it depends on the amount you change. I've never tested before and or after and don't plan too)

Some people may see some sort of swing with alk cal usage on gfo change day because rapid phosphate reduction can help promote coral growth. (Another thing I have read)

I suggest dosing tonight, the morning, then test before your afternoon dose. (And possibly adjust accordingly) you want to get that alk to above 8.5. I usually run 8.5 but have decided to raise my levels a little to see where I would like to run.

Don't dose cal until it comes down a little. Then you can figure out your consumption and dose accordingly.

Make sure you keep your salinity in line while you attempt to find a sweet spot

csauer52

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you get the BM setup yet? I'm using this doser and I LOVE it. You can start with 35ml/day spaced out over a 24 hour period which = 35/24 = 1.45ml per dose. This is where I started and you just keep checking and adjust accordingly.

Good luck.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: