nyshoots

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
ok im still having to dose 2 part along with dripping kalk but in smaller amounts in order to keep my levals up. My PH still seems low tho, rite now im running around 8.o during the day and 7.7 at night while dripping kalk. When I dose 2 part it will go up for a little while than settle back down

Boomer

Bomb Technician (EOD)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I dose 2 part it will go up for a little while than settle back down

That is something you need to stop doing, always adding alk buffer for a pH fix. This will make the Alk get very high. You do not add buffers to raise the pH. 99 % of all reef tank low pH issues are to much CO2 and not from low Alk. When buffers are added it will almost always rise the pH only for that pH do drop right back down like yours. When you add these buffers not only do you increase the Alk but you also increase the CO2 some. This is where Kalk comes in, as it "eats" CO2 and has very little impact on Alk usually.

During the day algae and many corals use CO2. So, the pH rises. At night they give off CO2 and the pH falls. The reason for kalk dripping at night. Right now yours is not bad. Many have your same pH issues and all is good. Check the pH of your Kalk drip it should be near +12 pH. Try to add more kalk at night if you can and less of the 2-part during the day. If your kalk drip pH is to low that will help allot to get its pH up.

Boomer

Bomb Technician (EOD)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, good move on the outside air. Sounds like high room air CO2. Dont' forget what I said the other day, kalk also adds some Alk.

KalK = Ca(OH)2

CO2 plus that OH = HCO3- which is buffer, bicarbonate, which is in your 2-part as baking soda, NaHCO3. So, if you have a higher kalk pH for the drip that 7.7 will come up, the Alk will come up and you can cut back on the 2-part Alk sup. This should bring night pH up to 8 at night and still having the Alk demand you need. Thus, you are killing 4 birds with one stone, i.e., pH up, adding Alk, adding calcium, adding less of that Na, from the NaHCO3, which you do not need.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: