gholtmeyer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, my 180 has been up and running for less than 6 months. I had the water tested the other day. Here are the results:

alk: 11.2
calc: 300
mag: 600
ph: 8.1

so, I know that the calc and mag are way low. I normally run mag at 1400 or a bit higher and calc at 450. I would like to get the alk down below 10. I am happy with ph.

What are you thoughts on best way to raise the mag and calc? The "do a major water change" method or do a "series of 50 gallon water changes 2-4 days apart" method? Like I said, I have a 180 with a 100 gallon stock tank.

Also, I have Kent Turbo Calcium and Epsom salts on hand. Dosage amounts?

Nottick

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
So, my 180 has been up and running for less than 6 months. I had the water tested the other day. Here are the results:

alk: 11.2
calc: 300
mag: 600
ph: 8.1

so, I know that the calc and mag are way low. I normally run mag at 1400 or a bit higher and calc at 450. I would like to get the alk down below 10. I am happy with ph.

What are you thoughts on best way to raise the mag and calc? The "do a major water change" method or do a "series of 50 gallon water changes 2-4 days apart" method? Like I said, I have a 180 with a 100 gallon stock tank.

Also, I have Kent Turbo Calcium and Epsom salts on hand. Dosage amounts?

First I would try and figure the source of the issue. Second if you decide to do water changes I would do 10% a day for 7 days so it gradually brings things to your salt mix parameters or close to it. Then lookup randy farleys 2 part mix and dose according to his calculator to adjust from there. I am in the process of doing that now.

Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Please post a photo of your tank.

Have you been dosing?

Who tested your levels? What kits?

What salinity is your tank?

What salt?

Trying to get an idea of your tank and if those levels are even possible.

Last edited:

gholtmeyer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A salifert test kit was used, it was new, and I watched the guy, who I trust, test. I can put up a pic later when I get home to take a pic. I have some green hair algae, and red slime (cyno?). I have not been dosing with anything. I have been doing a water change about every three weeks. The salinity is at 1.026. Any thoughts on what could be possible causes of the drop in mag/calc?

gholtmeyer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank has not been neglected. Water changes at least every three weeks. No corals in yet. I wanted to be positive that the tank was stable. Salifert test kit. Salinity at 1.026. If so some reason the calcium and mag get off balanced, then they have a negative effect on each other. They must be balanced or they will keep dropping and ratcheting each other down. I don't know what started the process. I just know that they have bottomed out and am wanting suggestions from others who have been in same situation as to how you raised the levels back up.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Well, I still don't see those above readings as being accurate however..

If Mg is abnormally low in a reef, especially a tank with zero livestock then i would definitely start by testing your salt mix. This would consitute a bad batch and I would contact the manufacturer or buy a new batch before even thinking of doing water changes to correct an issue its causing.

Generally mag should read roughly 3x the amount of your calcium when running a balance. So having a low calcium readings goes hand and hand with a low magnesium reading. Without a balance obviously these results can vary. Just know you won't be able to successfully raise calcium without raising your magnesium levels within a reasonable level. So raising magnesium would be a start after you have confirmed it is definitely low.

What salt are you using?

I have gotten some very whacked out results when testing water with old kits, new kits, etc. Was more than one test performed?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: