SteveZ15

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
Is it safe to add just the alk of the 2 part?
Did water change and tested this
cal490,alk6.0 dkh.
I have just a few frags in the tank the ph
8.1 which is slightly lower than 8.3 the tanks been at.
Should i try to get it to 8 or retest tomorrow?
If the alk still can i slowly add the alk only?

redfishblewfish

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You?re alk is definitely low??..But no problem only dosing alk. In the ideal world, there is a balance between alc and calc dosing. However, if your salt is adding a good portion of either component, then you need to adjust. I?ve been dosing alk only because the salt I use (unmentioned) has calc numbers exceeding 500. And since I do a good 15%+ water change per week, there is no need for me to add calc.

SteveZ15

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
Reef crystals salt.but did waterchange with the bottled seawater.needed the empty jug.salifert testkits brand new tested twice with sample taken in two different spots.ill test tomorow again. Ill adjust alk if i need .thank you.

Last edited:

Boomer

Bomb Technician (EOD)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Steve get somebody else to test your Alk with a different kit before you race off and dump in buffer. RC is almost always high in Alk ~ 11 -13 dKH. Re-read your instructions, it is like you are 2x multipler off.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Steve get somebody else to test your Alk with a different kit before you race off and dump in buffer. RC is almost always high in Alk ~ 11 -13 dKH. Re-read your instructions, it is like you are 2x multipler off.

I too use Reef Crystals and recently noticed my ALK was low. My Red Sea test kit only gave a range, I was in the low range. I went out and bought a salfert kit, tested with it twice got a result of ...

DKH - 6.5
mg - 1300
calc - 400
PH 8.6
salinity 1.024

Bought bionic two part just added it for the first time, I think I am in the same boat as the OP.

CHEMCHEF

PERMANOOB
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
You?re alk is definitely low??..But no problem only dosing alk. In the ideal world, there is a balance between alc and calc dosing. However, if your salt is adding a good portion of either component, then you need to adjust. I?ve been dosing alk only because the salt I use (unmentioned) has calc numbers exceeding 500. And since I do a good 15%+ water change per week, there is no need for me to add calc.

Sounds like coralife

CHEMCHEF

PERMANOOB
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
Reef crystals salt.but did waterchange with the bottled seawater.needed the empty jug.salifert testkits brand new tested twice with sample taken in two different spots.ill test tomorow again. Ill adjust alk if i need .thank you.

that bottled seawater is really low in alk

SteveZ15

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
It is starting to balance out now,I didnt use anymore bottled seawater since I got the jugs i needed them for. Got the alk 8.8 and cal 440.. IM gonna keep that dose at 20 ml if that holds the level there for a week ill creep up the alk to 9 and cal at 450 and try to stay there. Im getting more coraline so thats good.

SteveZ15

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
Is rc a good salt? I heard goog things but its the only salt I used. Are there better ones ot there,since theres only like a 1/4 bucket left if there is something better ill try that next.Im gonna change 5 gals tomorrow any way so Ill test a few hours later,to see if the salt may have bring the level down.The mag test should be here any day so at least I can test and fix that if its low.I read all the articals on the dose help and other ones so I have a better understanding of how the parts all relate so I am getting the han.g of it

Boomer

Bomb Technician (EOD)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Steve RC is fine, it is what Kevin uses at Live Aquari/Foster & Smith. Salt is a choice, there is no such thing as best. What makes or breaks a reef tank is the guy in the mirror, not the salt. The #1 salt in the world is Instant Oceans by leaps and bounds.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: