Boomer

Bomb Technician (EOD)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefn

If you are posting in reply of my post

The Alk on coral reefs is much lower than that, 6.3 dKH, so how is it then they can grow

with Randy's article where it says

Typical Ocean Levels = 7 dKH, that is not going to work

That is a typical ocean level, often in relation to the open oceans. Reefs vary from 2.1 - 2.5. That 2.5 is high for reefs or even the open ocean and there is no issues keeping them at those levels. There are all kinds of peer-reviewed articles of reef transects showing that below. Same can be said of Salinty. Many reefs are well below 35 ppt, as in 32 ppt. Such reefs will have lower TA and reefs with higher Salinty will have higher TA. The other issue is most don't sup or test for Borate Alk. Alk of 2.5 meq/l will only be ~ 2.25 CA( Carbonate Alkakinty), which most in this hobby are actually seeing on a test kit. Most tanks more than likely have nil Borate Alk, which means they are quite a bit higher than a reefs CA.

Take note, in this one example of reef plots, where the Alk never even gets to 2.3 meq/l ( 6.4 dKH). Any many are below 2.25 ( 6.3 dKH). The over all avg on this CR ~ 2.27meq/l (6.35 dKH).

Carbonate dynamics of the coral reef system at Bora Bay, Miyako Island
http://www.int-res.com/articles/meps/156/m156p001.pdf

I do not know who, what expert, said corals must have a dKH of 7 was but it is gibberish. All corals on this reef would be dead if that was true.

There is not one shred of info, evidence or data that shows corals, be they on a real reef or tank, need levels in the 8-11 dKH. But with one point. Corals seem to grow faster with higher than normal Alk and has been proven in the lab, to a degree, even at lower than normal reef pH. And the same for Calcium. If anything, such high levels, may stress them out more.

There are equations, that dictated that x Alk should have y Ca++ to be equally balanced. But people need to learn, when it comes to Salinity, Temp, Ca++, Alk and pH, to STOP chasing numbers. If x, y and z are working for you LEAVE THEM ALONE.

This is a much better cal than those posted. It will give you balanced amounts and graph plots for various additives in drop down menues.

The Reef Chemistry Calculator.
http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chem_calc3.html

Last edited:

ReefnQueens

Tonga Wanga
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
Reefn

If you are posing in reply of my post

The Alk on coral reefs is much lower than that, 6.3 dKH, so how is it then they can grow

with Randy's article where it says

Typical Ocean Levels = 7 dKH, that is not going to work

That is a typical ocean level, often in relation to the open oceans. Reefs vary from 2.1 - 2.5. That 2.5 is high for reefs or even the open ocean and there is no issues keeping them at those levels. There are all kinds of peer-reviewed articles of reef transects showing that below. Same can be said of Salinty. Many reefs are well below 35 ppt, as in 32 ppt. Such reefs will have lower TA and reefs with higher Salinty will have higher TA. The other issue is most don't sup or test for Borate Alk. Alk of 2.5 meq/l will only be ~ 2.25 CA( Carbonate Alkakinty), which most in this hobby are actually seeing on a test kit. Most tanks more than likely have nil Borate Alk, which means they are quite a bit higher than a reefs CA.

Take note, in this one example of reef plots, where the Alk never even gets to 2.3 meq/l ( 6.4 dKH). Any many are below 2.25 ( 6.3 dKH). The over all avg on this CR ~ 2.27meq/l (6.35 dKH).

Carbonate dynamics of the coral reef system at Bora Bay, Miyako Island
http://www.int-res.com/articles/meps/156/m156p001.pdf

I do not know who, what expert, said corals must have a dKH of 7 was but it is gibberish. All corals on this reef would be dead if that was true.

There is not one shred of info, evidence or data that shows corals, be they on a real reef or tank, need levels in the 8-11 dKH. But with one point. Corals seem to grow faster with higher than normal Alk and has been proven in the lab, to a degree, even at lower than normal reef pH. And the same for Calcium. If anything, such high levels, may stress them out more.

There are equations, that dictated that x Alk should have y Ca++ to be equally balanced. But people need to learn, when it comes to Salinity, Temp, Ca++, Alk and pH, to STOP chasing numbers. If x, y and z are working for you LEAVE THEM ALONE.

This is a much better cal than those posted. It will give you balanced amounts and graph plots for various additives in drop down menues.

The Reef Chemistry Calculator.
http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chem_calc3.html

Hey boom
Not posing on your previous post, just throwing out a site I just read ....
ANd as far as x y z working and leaving them alone , I agree

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
and someone posted about with carbon dosing needing to keep it around 7. i ran a carbon dosing system for two years with my alk around 9-10 and had no growth or color issue's

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: