Rating - 96.9%
93   3   0
I Have a 6 gallon nano cube. it is stocked with two ocellaris clownfish 1 blue velvet damsel, 1 BTA, 1 coral banded Shrimp various snails n hermit crabs. I started using Red Sea coral Pro aquarium salt. All off the water parameters are good except for my nitrate. I feeI Have a 6 gallon nano cube. it is stocked with two ocellaris clownfish 1 blue velvet damsel, 1 BTA, 1 coral banded Shrimp various snails n hermit crabs. I started using Red Sea coral Pro aquarium salt. All off the water parameters are good except for my nitrate. I feed all the corals as well as the fish every other day. the ammonia levels nitrite and pH dont spike. The Ph fluctuates as normal during the day. I have a cemi pure elite pouch as well . My corals for a while have seemed to close up. Even when I do 1/3 water change its still high. My BTA is closes up frequently. The only.coral I see doing well.is my pipe organs. I have also switched from the compact fluorescent to 3 turelumen led strips with dimmer. I noticed that my blue velvet damsel is digging under the live rock into the substrate. I k ow that if the substrate is disturbed, levels in the tank can be compromised. Im about to make a 2.5 gallon sump with a biocube protien skimmer and macro algae. Would this help? Any help is appreciated! d all the corals as well as the fish every other day. the ammonia levels nitrite and pH dont spike. The Ph fluctuates as normal during the day. I have a cemi pure elite pouch as well . My corals for a while have seemed to close up. Even when I do 1/3 water change its still high. My BTA is closes up frequently. The only.coral I see doing well.is my pipe organs. I have also switched from the compact fluorescent to 3 turelumen led strips with dimmer. I noticed that my blue velvet damsel is digging under the live rock into the substrate. I k ow that if the substrate is disturbed, levels in the tank can be compromised. Im about to make a 2.5 gallon sump with a biocube protien skimmer and macro algae. Would this help? Any help is appreciated!

Nandez13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
246   0   0
Over stocked with 3 1 inch fish and a shrimp?.. if it was wouldnt my ammonia and nitrite levels be up? I've done a water change for the last 3 days and the nitrate is the only spike.

Yes.

The tank is only 6 gallons, that's a bit tight for 1 fish. U have a nem in there as well. Add as big of a sump as u can and consider removing the damsel. You'll also have to replace the clowns eventually when they start to grow.

Boomer

Bomb Technician (EOD)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, your tank is not over stocked. I can show you people with tanks where 50 % of the volume is animals and the tank runs like watch with high nitrates anf PO4.

5 things that can cause corals and anemones to be closed up.

1. Poor water circulation. Corals and anemones need very good water circulation so the daily mucus they produced gets "washed" off them.
2. Something in the water you may not be able to test for. You say parameters are fine. Well, what are they ? What is the temp, salinity, Alk, pH, Ca++, etc.
3. A shift in the Cessation - Starvation Rate. Many corals, anemones and other capture/filter feeders do not extend and remain closed up when over fed to conserve energy. And of course underfed also if it has gone to far will be closed up.
4. Diseaes
5. Poor lighting

Rating - 96.9%
93   3   0
Water paramerters are as follows: ph 8.2, temp 77 to 79, ca++ 440, ammonia 0. Nitrite 0. Iodine 0.6. Lighthing is 3 led true lumen strips, one full atinic 253, one 50/50 253 actinic and 12000k white , one 50/50 12000k white and pink all at 65% brightness ( dimmable). The circulation pump is 400gph. I feed the fish / shrimp every other day and feed the sun coral feather duster n kenya trees .75ml daily of zooplankton and phytoplankton every other day. Leds r on from 430p to 830 p.

Boomer

Bomb Technician (EOD)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not care about water circulation rate but current rate. What kind of current are you seeing around the corals and anemome. There should be at least a gentle movement of the tentacles from the current. Anemones and corals produce allot of mucus which needs to be "washed/swept " away, otherwise they like to close up.

If this ^ is ok, good current, skip a feeding cycle to see if they open up. Do not stop feeding the feather duster.

If that fish is always stirring up the bottom, where you see allot of particle floating around, get rid of it.

At last resort do 2 50 % WC a day apart. Make sure the temp, Salinty, Alk and pH are about the same.

Rating - 96.9%
93   3   0
I have been doing the 50% water change for the last 3 days.. the damsel is stiring up the sand quite a bit and there is particles floating.. so ill get rid of him... ill try feeding every 2 days then.. im gonna add the protein skimmer tonight and work on the refugium.. going with a 5.5 gallon

Rating - 96.9%
93   3   0
This was the tank in the beginning
fqBKB3NJry

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: