Rating - 100%
32   0   0
My 75g tank has just completed its cycle. Sadly I cannot have a sump on this tank, so I'm using a Reef Octopus BH-2000 skimmer. I'm encountering some green hair algae right now, which I know is normal for a new tank, but I'm wondering if a GFO reactor would be a good idea as well. It would have to be a hang on model, like the PhosBan 150.

Can I get some opinions on this? Would it be a good idea to get one running now? Or should I wait and see if the algae just dies off as I do water changes and the tank matures?

bkstang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
If it is a new tank I would definitely wait a couple of months until the tank is well established and occupied. There are other things that you need to look at if you have hair algae (water used, clean up crew, etc). If you decide to install a HOB GFO reactor, PhosBan 150 is a good choice. This is what I have on mine and I use an external pump. You will need only 3,5" on a side or back of the tank to install it.

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Thanks for the replies, guys. bkstang - that sounds like a good idea. I'm using RODI water and have just added a handful of snails (nassarius, trochus, turbo, fighting conch) and crabs (scarlet & green leg hermits). They seem to be nibbling at it. I've removed a bit of it manually and will just continue doing water changes and watching...

You say you use an external pump on your PhosBan 150. Do you have pics of how you plumbed it? If I end up getting one, I'd definitely prefer not to have another powerhead in the tank. Thanks again!

bkstang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
Here it is. I put a small basket on the end of the inlet tube to prevent any snails or crab get into the tube. I plan to cover the side of the tank so all the tubing will be out of sight. The outlet is just under the water level. When you buy the Phosban 150, don't forget to buy the extension kit (for HOB). The pump I'm using is Seltz L30. Let me know if you need any more info.

Attachments

• side.jpg
    side.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 150
  • top.jpg
    top.jpg
    340.3 KB · Views: 151

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: