Trump

ReefO'
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 situations with the same result.... 1.Why is it when I change the socks in my sump (while system is running) or 2. when I turn off the entire system and restart it (regardless if I'm changing the socks), my skimmer goes crazy and dispenses 5-15 gallons of water? Anyway to avoid this?

Nottick

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Well when you turn off system I'm assuming water level in sump rises and when its turned back on the skimmer starts immediately with a higher than recommended water level. Try Turing return on and skimmer on a minute or two apart. As for the socks. May be excess bleach maybe from cleaning. Usually it goes away in a little while. I usually turned skimmer off for 30 min after I changed my socks and worked well for me.

Dan_P

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 situations with the same result.... 1.Why is it when I change the socks in my sump (while system is running) or 2. when I turn off the entire system and restart it (regardless if I'm changing the socks), my skimmer goes crazy and dispenses 5-15 gallons of water? Anyway to avoid this?

The answer is yes, but a little more detective work is needed. I presume the "skimmer goes crazy" means "generates a boat load of wet skimmate quickly."

One way to get wet skimmate is a high water level in the skimmer. Take a look to see if the level is higher after a system shut - down start up

I don't see how changing the filter sock makes a difference unless the sock is introducing a surfactant or sudsing agent into the system. Try rinsing the sock thoroughly before installing it.

Good Luck!

Trump

ReefO'
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well when you turn off system I'm assuming water level in sump rises and when its turned back on the skimmer starts immediately with a higher than recommended water level. Try Turing return on and skimmer on a minute or two apart. As for the socks. May be excess bleach maybe from cleaning. Usually it goes away in a little while. I usually turned skimmer off for 30 min after I changed my socks and worked well for me.
I had a check valve fail on me once. So once a month I like to run a fake power outage and restart to make sure everything is working and restarts on its own properly. This is were my concerns come from. To much water come out after a restart. someone told me to try a float switch to the skimmer.

As for socks....I wash the socks in the washing machine with a little bleach with an extra rinse cycle extra hot. Maybe I will try washing them a second time with no bleach. And maybe soak them in a bucket of RO before using them

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
+1 on the second time. Do you have a controller? I have a delay after my return pump goes off before my skimmer will start, and if water level goes higher than expected, it shuts off my return and skimmer.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: