Can someone explain bio-pellets to me?

cmantis

Rating - 100%
102   0   0
I have a fish only system and want to hook up some reactors but am confused what to go with. Traditionally I would run gfo and carbon but they guy that makes the reactors is recommending bio-pellets and carbon. He said bio-pellets help reduce ammonia but I thought this wasn't the case. I dunno just confused here hopefully someone can help break it down.

BioMan

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I actually just started using them myself and this is how I took it... You want to have those pellets tumbling and they feed or interact with phosphates and nitrates in a way that they bind and get removed by the skimmer. Also it's supposed to take like 2 weeks to start working. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

lnevo

Rating - 100%
106   0   0
It is not the same as bacteria that processes ammonia. That would only be handled by your typical cycle and bacteria populating your live rock and sand.

In a nutshell bio pellets are a carbon source and the reactor becomes an area for anaerobic bacteria to populate and process nitrate and phosphate. I've never heard of them processing ammonia.

Featured Sponsors