duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
Gives us how much total water volume you have not just the size of your tank. How much rowa you use. The amount of water changed and how often. How much carbon you plan to use and what kind of carbon. What your temp swings are and a day to day alk and cal numbers. Where is the tank. Do you use any sprays near the tank. What are your dosing per week and how much. Let's figure if your using to much to fast and of what your using

M

Moneymaks24

Rating - 100%
224   0   0
34 gallon solana
5 gallon WC/week or every 10 days
Temp swing 79-80 apex/fan
Measured RowaPhos w digital scale used half dose for like 6 months changed evey month
Dose daily alk cal 2 part brs :like 30,20 mil respectively in 24 hr span.
Ph 7.9-8.2 daily swing.

Planning on following instruction for carbon in reactor use. I have BRs cheaper carbon. Not the fancy one.

M

Moneymaks24

Rating - 100%
224   0   0
Rinsed RowaPhos in rodi water few times while it's in the reactor by the sink. No spray or chemicals around tank.

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
Take a screen shot of your apex screen temp and ph. If you think you are doing everything right and your corals just die off I would think about sending your water out to a lab for a run down of every parameter including metals

M

Moneymaks24

Rating - 100%
106   0   0
Nothing jus "dies" in my tank. As I said sps don't grow chalices turn to skeletons with time and zoa disappear (asterea probably ). I'm doing something right as I mentioned my RBTA hasn't moved in a year and is doing great.

Over 30 other coral grow and do fine it's just the sps and chalices that give me trouble ( no growth and tips turning white or losing flesh ). And zoa but that's not water issue. I'll get a harlequim for the zoa eventually.

I thought not enough light could be an issue ( 175W led on 50%) but that doesn't make sense because anemones require high light and it's in the middle of my tank. Most my sps are higher, only some are lower than the anemone.

M

Moneymaks24

Rating - 100%
106   0   0
Only thing I found unusual with the used tank was the magnet ( DIY to fit solana mod) from skimmer was leaching rust or rusty looking material. I wiped it off best I could, maybe some still left I'll try to remove and replace that piece just to be safe. As far as lab analysis sounds cool if it's cheap I'll try it why not. I feel like it won't be however.

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
Have you ever had a montipora? Seriously I know you said you check alk everyday but def sounds like alk swings. Can happen very quick in a small tank. Also you don't need to change rowa every month unless your po4 starts to rise. I change my 90ml about every 6 weeks. That's when the time my po4 starts to creep and I'm checking it out of the reactor. If it goes to .01 or .02 out of the reactor I know it's exhausted

M

Moneymaks24

Rating - 100%
106   0   0
Funny u say monti that's what got me started bugging out. I have 3, purple haze something else and a superman monti. The only one that does bad is the superman ( my fav lol) it looks like crap compared to when john ( pop coral ) hooked me up w it. Like a year ago still no growth. It does exactly what all my chalices did looks like it's turning to a skeleton

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
Monti I noticed are very sensitive to alk swings. It's my first indicator that something is wrong. It's going to cost you about 15 bucks every 6 weeks and 5 min of your time but check your alk with salifert everyday even 2 times once before and once after your alk dose. Salifert costs 14 bucks to order and about 18 if a lfs can order it or if they have it. Clean the rust off , check the alk everyday and see what happens in a month. Also do your weekly tests of other parameters. See how nice it is talking like hobbyists and not like a crazy person. We are getting somewhere

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Easy at 3.2 dkh your alk is low. You should aim closer to 7-9dkh at least that's where I tend to keep mine when I pay attention.

What are you reading your phosphates with? I thought you don't trust any hobby test kits?

I am guessing you are relying on API test kits for important variables like cal, po4 and mag.

What are you using to test your salinity? Hydrometer or refractometer that has been calibrated?

What type of skimmer and What media are you using? ESV salt is a good brand from all reviews and levels from freshly made batches per tests done and reviews.

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Ha late posts. I took a look at my phone and saw the old posts and noticed everyone asking and answering the same.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: