Widdy

Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
You bet, Paul. Don't recall seeing any more recent articles, more hobbyist experiences and observations.

After all the reading, I bought a Salifert K kit and a bottle of potassium chloride.

Paolissimo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
How long have you been dosing potassium? What did the test show, was your tank low on potassium? Is your tank mostly sps or softy? If you been dosing for a while has the coloration improved? Sorry many questions but i am trying to figure out if I wanna start testing potassium.

Widdy

Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
How long have you been dosing potassium? What did the test show, was your tank low on potassium? Is your tank mostly sps or softy? If you been dosing for a while has the coloration improved? Sorry many questions but i am trying to figure out if I wanna start testing potassium.

Around end of October last year. I stopped waterchanges completely for about 4 months prior (7-8 months to date). Kept with trace elements via Seachem Reef Trace, Iron/Manganese (came with ARID Reactor)... but K and Sr wasn't covered. Saliferts K kit was showing me in the low 300s.

Growth and color has improved greatly. Any nuisance algae should be wrangled first as the article (2nd one I believe) above already mentioned, K will fuel algae growth. Needless to say, the chaeto in the ARID has bloomed to a nice hunter green tight cylindrical shape.

Color can be greatly improved for my system. But that's the trade-off I took as real life was impeding waterchanges.

Widdy

Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
Any time, Paul. Keep us posted on how you make out. This is the KCl I'm dosing -- http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00028M02Q/?tag=reefs04-20 and the calculator I used to determine dosage -- http://www.ultimatereef.net/info/calculators/potcalc.php

Oh and my tank is a mixed tank. SPS/LPS/Softies... historically, I've never had any measurable amount of success with SPS. I'll get it to a state where color and growth is optimal (to my eyes) and something comes along, be it real life or mishap will kill the SPS in my tank. Rinse, repeat and off I go again. I'll take a current pic when I get a chance.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: