seldin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
It took weeks to go down. Then u cut in half. I noticed when it went down to almost nothing.

Funny thing, i have a new tank a little over a year and saw my nitrates went way up. I realized my doser went out on me. I have do all over again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bluereef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Any Carbon like BioPeletts, Vodka,Vinegar,Sugar etc. will encourage Bacteria grow, is NOT enough to control the PO4 just by using large density of Bacteria, you have to keep your tank (sump) clean, good Protein Skimmer is a must. I consider sand a "Luxury" need constant clean, water flow very important, help to export the Detritus fast, avoiding precipitation, AquaScope also very important , Berlin socks help, make the water crystal clear, but how long stay the Detritus in (days) then when come to clean, pain, not to mention what kind the water use to rinse, the domestic water supply (cooper) full of PO4, chlorine,Ammonia, bad minerals etc. Also use a good RO/DI water, feed less . In my opinion the faster you remove Detritus and export the better will be. Much easy to control the tank. Right now i use :
No sand
No Berlin Sucks
NO Active Carbon
NO GFO
Just 12 mi of Vodka for 280 Gal. system.
Clean Sump every time i see Detritus precipitation by using Diatom Filter.
Vio.
12 ml of vodka every day ?

seldin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
Dosage depends on tank and whether you carbon dose with which product, such as vodka, sugar, vinegar or vendor product. I liked to read older article by Randy Holmes from Reef Central to gain knowledge and know how much to dose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

editour2

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
I dose vinegar....have been doing so for years. Slowly built up per Randy Holmes article...reached a peak...backed off until I found the happy zone. It works for me. Stopped using GFO....everytime I changed it I'd notice some RTN on some SPS.... so only use carbon now.

seldin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
Rebels23,
Sorry for missing this question. Normally, 1-2 months. However, my doser had broken a while back and I had to buy a new one. I am on the 10th week on my nano and still see no results. This is not usual. Not sure why taking so long.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: