Mu8st7ang1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Are these ok parameters? I tested 4 times each and got basically the same with the Hanna meters and used a refractor meter for salinity.
7.1dkh alk
555 cal
Temp 79.8
Ph 8.01

Last edited:

ZippysFunLand

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Your PH is a little bit low as is your alk. Dose it with PH Buffer. If you dose your tank with the appropriate amount of PH buffer for a few days (every other day is probably best), your PH should level out at roughly 8.1. Once that happens, your alk will start to rise. Once your PH and alk raise to the correct levels, your calcium is going to drop, so you will want to dose with calcium after that. Obviously make sure to test the water daily while you get your levels straight.

Mu8st7ang1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
My mag test was outdated so I tossed it. I recalibrate a my ph tester and its 8.05 so same thing. Alk today was 7.22. Calcium was 484 maybe it's leveling out oh yea Sal is 1.027 trying to get it down to .026

Boomer

Bomb Technician (EOD)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bio yes, about 3 X, to be more exact 3.2

Mu8

You are doing good. Let the Calcium come down on its own. Jacking up the Calcuum is not the thing to do as it will bring down the Calcium and the Alk due to CaCO3 precipitation. Your Alk is fine and is slightly above natural seawater. There is nothing wrong with running it higher but wait till things are more normal. Same for Magnesium. But you need to test for that, as low Magnesium can pull down the Calcium via precipitation, as normal Magesium levels helps stop CaCO3 precip.

Note: Don't be jacking up the ph with a buffer. 99 % of all pH issues is CO2 and it could care less what the Alk is. I can tell by your given parameters your pH should be 8.2, this is from slightly high CO2 but don't worry about that for now.,

Last edited:

Boomer

Bomb Technician (EOD)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That pH drop is from high room air CO2. If you opened the windows and doors to let in out side air it would go up to 8.2. This is a common problem for many. Using a buffer to raise the pH is a no -no. Yes the pH and Alk will go up if you add the buffers but the next day the pH will be right back where it was. You add more buffers the same, you add more buffer the same and now the Alk is threw the roof. You have to live with the lowered pH or fix the CO2 issue. That high CO2 goes right into the water, pH drops. I don't care what the Alk is. Adding buffers CAN NOT stop this

Boomer

Bomb Technician (EOD)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should have added a trick to fix this that many use is to drip Kalk Ca(OH)2 ( usually at night) or Caustic Soda Na(OH)2.

Either case these remove the CO2

Ca(OH)2 + 2CO2 -----> Ca (Calcium) + 2HCO3 (<--a buffer)

And you add some Calcium too.

Na(OH)2 the same but no Calcium

And there are other tricks

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: