smokin reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First I would like to thank all involved in the making of this online mag. It is great to have this information available.

My question is calcium related. I currenly run a canister filter just for water polishing. Will this type of filtration filter out the calcium ions you talked about in your article? It seems I have been adding a lot of buffers and turbo calcium on top of dripping the kalk. I have a 75g. tank with a 30g. sump, that is not very heavily stocked.

On one other note. I used to use the vinegar method of dripping the kalk, and had some problems with the water clouding. But really noticed that the additions of buffer and turbo calcium were not near as much.

[ March 23, 2002: Message edited by: smokin reefer ]</p>

jamesw

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might jump in on this thread and I can answer one of your questions - but I'd better leave the others to someone who can explain chemistry better than I can.

It is not possible to filter out calcium or carbonate ions with a mechanical filter. They are atoms and molecules so are much too small to be trapped by the filter floss (or even diatoms) in a canister filter. So you don't have to worry about your canister being a "calcium sink."

If you do notice your calcium and alkalinity levels falling then it's (hopefully) because your corals are growing and using them. If you want them to continue growing and being healthy, then you will have to put more of these ions into solution in your aquarium. As you already know, there are many ways to do that. A "balanced" 2-part additive, kalkwasser, or a calcium reactor is the best mode, IMO.

Cheers
James Wiseman

randy holmes-farley

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to add to the good answer that James gave, I'll suggest that the cloudiness that you saw may be a bacterial bloom, feeding on the acetate that comes from the vinegar. This has happened to some people who have used vinegar.

Second, it isn't surprising that without the vinegar you need more clacium and alkalinity supplementation. That's one of the things that the vinegar can accomplish: allow more Ca(OH)2 to dissolve into the limewater. Without it, you need to make up the difference somehow.

[ April 19, 2002: Message edited by: Randy Holmes-Farley ]</p>

smokin reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys for the great reply's. I have recently went back to the vinegar in small amounts. Seems to be working so far.

Yes james the corals are growing very fast, or so it seems to me. I will keep the calcium, and alk. levels up by any means. As I have in the past.

[ April 01, 2002: Message edited by: smokin reefer ]</p>

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: