mkirda

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a recommended test kit for either phosphate or nitrate?

Ones that would be accurate, have a low threshold, and (hopefully) be easy to read?
I'd be willing to invest in a digital titrator if that would be the best way of going...

As I am planning to do some aquarium photography in the near future, it might help with the water quality model if I were to run some tests at the same time...

Regards.
Mike Kirda

AF Founder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by mkirda:
<strong>Is there a recommended test kit for either phosphate or nitrate?

Ones that would be accurate, have a low threshold, and (hopefully) be easy to read?
I'd be willing to invest in a digital titrator if that would be the best way of going...

As I am planning to do some aquarium photography in the near future, it might help with the water quality model if I were to run some tests at the same time...

Regards.
Mike Kirda</strong><hr></blockquote>

Mike,
If you want a second opinion, I completely agree with Randy's recommendations.
It is orthophosphate that you especially need to read in the low range, and with the Hach kit you can easily read below 0.1 mg/L

CraigBingman

Most Ancient Reef Chemist
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by mkirda:
<strong>Is there a recommended test kit for either phosphate or nitrate?

Regards.
Mike Kirda</strong><hr></blockquote>

Mike,

We usually don't use titration methods to measure nitrate and phosphate. Colorimetric methods are more useful.

The Hach color wheel test kits for nutrients are about as good as you can get short of using a spectrophotometer. The number for the low range phosphate test is PO-19, and the number for the low range nitrate test is NI-14. I prefer the Hach kits over the corresponding LaMotte tests for both of those nutrients.

Craig

mkirda

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by cbingman:
<strong>

Mike,

We usually don't use titration methods to measure nitrate and phosphate. Colorimetric methods are more useful.

The Hach color wheel test kits for nutrients are about as good as you can get short of using a spectrophotometer. The number for the low range phosphate test is PO-19, and the number for the low range nitrate test is NI-14. I prefer the Hach kits over the corresponding LaMotte tests for both of those nutrients.

Craig</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hi, Craig.

Thanks for the reply.
A colorimeter is out of my price range at the moment, unfortunately.

I am curious why you'd prefer the Hach over LaMotte?

Do either of you have a preference for Calcium and alkalinity as well? I used the LaMotte for Calcium before and never could read the end point. It never seemed to turn as it was supposed to, even after Ca was supposed to be over 1,000... I ended up tossing the kit as it was useless...

Regards.
Mike Kirda

[ April 16, 2002: Message edited by: mkirda ]</p>

randy holmes-farley

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mike:

I like the Hach Total Hardness and Calcium kit (#1457-01 HA-4P mg-L) for both calcium and magnesium. I've not used the LaMotte calcium kit.

FOr alkalinity, I like the LaMotte and Hach (#24443-01 AL-4P mg-L) kits.

[ April 19, 2002: Message edited by: Randy Holmes-Farley ]</p>

mkirda

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Randy Holmes-Farley:
<strong>Mike:

I like the Hach Total Hardness and Calcium kit (#1457-01 HA-4P mg-L) for both calcium and magnesium. I've not used the LaMotte calcium kit.

FOr alkalinity, I like the LaMotte and Hach (#24443-01 AL-4P mg-L) kits.

[ April 19, 2002: Message edited by: Randy Holmes-Farley ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thanks, Randy.

Looks like Hach is going to get some of my money soon... LOL.

Regards.
Mike Kirda

CraigBingman

Most Ancient Reef Chemist
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<strong>

Hi, Craig.

Thanks for the reply.
A colorimeter is out of my price range at the moment, unfortunately.

I am curious why you'd prefer the Hach over LaMotte?

Do either of you have a preference for Calcium and alkalinity as well? I used the LaMotte for Calcium before and never could read the end point. It never seemed to turn as it was supposed to, even after Ca was supposed to be over 1,000... I ended up tossing the kit as it was useless...

Regards.
Mike Kirda

[ April 16, 2002: Message edited by: mkirda ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Mike,

Hach's "color wheel" color matching technology is better than LaMotte's comparator for making fine distinctions.

I'm less than thrilled by any commecial calcium test as supplied. What I personally do is a steep dilution of the sample (say, 1:5 or 1:10) and then perform a fine titration on that with a Hach digital titrator. You get a much sharper endpoint with the diluted sample.

I use a Hach digital titrator for alkalinity determinations and like it just fine. See Randy's recent column for the appropriate endpoint color with the indicator used in this test.

Craig

mkirda

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy Holmes-Farley":2qcfzoyb said:
Yea, bring plenty of it as they aren't inexpensive.

Well, Randy, you are right. They aren't cheap...

However, I got them yesterday. I never expected the packaging to be like this. The kits come in tackle boxes, for lack of a better term, and not cheapo varieties either. These are built to take abuse.

I also had an error in my order. When I brought it to Hach's attention, they did everything right... They credited the item, are shipping out the proper one, all without a bit of hassle. Customer service like that doesn't come cheap...

I'll tell you, I was leary due to the cost of their kits. But with the company bending over in this fashion to be sure I am satisfied, I'd have to say I'd order from them again.

Now I just hope they all work as nicely as Randy and Craig have indicated... {grin}

Regards.
Mike Kirda

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: