moreey

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been reading for months, i have more issues I don't even know where to begin!! I have read a ton of articles that I have found here on PH and Calcium and KH. My Ph won't go above 7.9, my KH is 11 and my calcium won't go above 300. These have been tested with several differant tests. I have read that I can't use limewater cause i don't want the Kh to increase anymore, to stop using seachem reef buffer (thinking this would raise my ph to 8.3 been adding 2x a week for a few months) immediately. Any suggestions?

randy holmes-farley

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am certain that if you add a calcium only supplement, and if you add enough of it, you will be able to get the calcium as high as you want. Calcium chloride is the easiest way. FWIW, it takes a lot, so use the calculator link in the article to see how much.

This article will describe what to do:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm

Also, I'd advise never adding an alkalinity supplement just to raise (or lower) pH. Some manufacturers are very misleading in those claims. Here's an article that tells you how to raise the pH:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/ ... 2/chem.htm

moreey

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the post, but unfortunately I have already read both of these articles and the problems that I am facing contradict each other in both these articles. If you correct the PH you cause issues with alk and calcium, but if you try to adjust cal you need to lower alk, but if you want to raise ph you have to raise alk its like a dog chasing it's tail.

Current test ph 7.9 kh 11 calcium 250.

this is a never ending battle.

any suggestions would be totally exceptable.

randy holmes-farley

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I don't think they contradict each other.

I don't recommend that people raise the alkalinity to raise pH, unless, of courser, the alkalinity is already low.

What I recommend is switching to a high pH alkalinity supplement in the place of whatever was used before. Limewater is the best option, followed by carbonate-based alkalinity additives (like washing soda or the original B-ionic).

For the calcium, I recommend that you raise it with calcium chloride.

moreey

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, thanks for the advice and I think I will give it a shot, do you have any recommendations of a particular product and a little more detail of how to dose and in what order??

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: