snookid

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a 55g with a wet /dry filter with submerge bio ball also plenum set up ,the tank been up 2 month now ammo=0 nitrite=0 nitrate=80 or 160 can't tell the color look the same .i already do 4 gallon water change but no result .what is the best way to get the nitrate to go down ?any adviced will be greatly appreciated

randy holmes-farley

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a variety of ways to reduce nitrate levels. Growing and harvesting macroaglae is a great way, as is a deep live sand bed. THere are also commercial denitrators that some people like.

Andersen

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, a friend and I are just having a small debate on the nitrate matter.. We´re wondering if the size of the skimmer (or the ammount of water going through the skimmer) have any influence on the nitrate at all?
My friend says it does, but I really doubt this.

Greets
Kim Andersen

anthem

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The size of the skimmer or the amount of water that goes through it indirectly has an influence. Mainly the ability of your skimmer is the key factor and the skimmer's ability to process the amount of water in your system.

A better skimmer will reduce your nitrates from rising as it removes some material before it actually gets to decompose into nitrates.

randy holmes-farley

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The size of the skimmer and the amount of organic material that it pulls out will impact how much nitrogen starts off down the nitrogen cycle (as ammonia). Whether water flow through the skimmer impacts how much organic is removed will depend on the design and how much water is already going through it.

Depending on what else happens to the nitrogen compounds, that might impact the final amount of nitrate. If macroalgealgae take it up anyway, then it may not matter how much starts down the nitrogen cycle. Same for a sand bed.

But I believe that if nitrate is a few ppm or more, then better skimming will lower it some and poorer skimming will raise it some.

Andersen

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm okay. So it could have an influence.
The reason I ask is because I´m thinking of changing my system, to let all the water from the tank go through the skimmer, insted of the way I have it now, were the skimmer is feed from a powerhead in my sump.
The only problem is, my skimmer is an Deltec AP600, which only can handle aprox. 600L/H (I think thats 150gal/h) water through, and right now I used an Oceanrunner 3500 as an return pump from the sump, (i think it manage about 2500 L/H at the top of the tank), and a powerhead to feed the skimmer.
I can not measseure any nitrate at all in my tank, and I doubt this would change if I let all the water go through the skimmer before entering the sump, even though the cirkulation to/from the tank and sump will have to change to something less than the Oceanrunner 3500.
I could ofcouse just exchange the skimmer with a bigger more suitable for the waterflow, but thats an expensive change rather than going downwards insted.
My tank is 435L (thats abit more than 100gal), and aprox 25gal sump . So the AP600 is suitable enough to handle it, (as far as Deltec says). I´m just not sure if the change in the return pumpe to something less, (something like 150gal/h) would give me any problems.

Greets
Kim Andersen

randy holmes-farley

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason I ask is because I´m thinking of changing my system, to let all the water from the tank go through the skimmer, insted of the way I have it now, were the skimmer is feed from a powerhead in my sump.

What the reason to make the change? To get better skimming, or is it something else?

Andersen

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason is mainly to try add some ekstra air to the water due to low pH (still). I may be gaining some better skimming, but I doubt it since there will still be aprox. 150gal/h going through the skimmer.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: