• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

cragganmore

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologies if this has been covered somewhere else. I searched the chemistry forum and read through Randy's articles, but didn't see an answer if there was one.

I'm having an issue with high alkalinity (off the Salifert chart), yet my calcium and pH levels are within normal ranges. For reference, here are the parameters in my display tank when the lights are on:

Tank age: 3 months
pH: 8.2
Alk: >= 16 dKH or >= 5.71 meq/L
Calcium: 440ppm
Salinity: 1.024
Temp: 78-79

The pH is being measured by a Pinpoint meter and has been checked against another Pinpoint meter. Alkalinity and calcium are being measured using Salifert kits. Salinity is being measured via a digital JBJ meter and has been checked against another of the same meters. I checked the Salifert kit against a Red Sea kit, and I also tested a friend's water with the Salifert kit and got a good reading of 8 dKH on his water.

I'm using a Korallin calcium reactor, and I don't dose any other calcium or alkalinity additives or buffers. I dose iodine daily and Korallin S-Plus weekly. I use a series of peristaltic pumps to slowly/constantly change out the water at the rate of about 1/20th the tank per day.

For reference, I'm starting off with water from a Kent Maxxima RO/DI unit with alkalinity parameters of <=0.3 dKH or <= 0.11 meq/L (basically, one drop from the Salifert test turns the reagent pink). I mix in Tropic Marin salt to 1.024-1.025, and after aging, the resulting alkalinity parameters are 11.5 dKH or 4.11 meq/L - kind of high it seems?

My questions are:

1. Is having such a high alkalinity an issue if my pH and calcium levels are within acceptable ranges?

2. Regardless of #1, what could be the cause of my crazy alkalinity levels? Is Tropic Marin known to have such a high initial alkalinity?

3. What should I do (if anything) to bring my alkalinity down without reducing calcium?

Everything in the tank *seems* fine (shrimp molting regularly, corals growing with good colors, no algae issues, crocea / sponges / other sensitive inverts doing well). This has just been a lingering concern in the back of my mind, and came to light yesterday when one of Jennifer Wheeler's (jendub.com) micromussas in my tank suddenly died. While we were trying to troubleshoot the cause, she suggested I should look into fixing my alkalinity issues.

Thanks for any input. And Randy, your work and articles here are very much appreciated.

Jon

Chris Jury1

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My questions are:

1. Is having such a high alkalinity an issue if my pH and calcium levels are within acceptable ranges?

2. Regardless of #1, what could be the cause of my crazy alkalinity levels? Is Tropic Marin known to have such a high initial alkalinity?

3. What should I do (if anything) to bring my alkalinity down without reducing calcium?

1. Not necessarily. You could have problems with abiotically precipitated calcium carbonate clogging pumps.

2. Calcium reactors sometimes favor disproportionally high alkalinity, depending on the composition of their media. I'd bet that the media has a significant mix of non-calcium carbonate carbonate minerals.

3. You could turn off the calcium reactor and just dose calcium (calcium chloride) until things come into balance.

cj

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: