seldin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
I am looking to buy an RODI unit with a small footprint for my NYC apartment only for my reef tank and not drinking water. I see one that I am looking at for 100 gpd 4 stage from Aquatic LIfe, but the vendor says I need another filter for NYC having high water sediment.

Is there a single RODI unit that I can use.

Also, can I just use this one, and change "the correct cartridge" more faster. Here is the unit:

1586353646076.png

Thank you,

heuerfan

Rating - 100%
172   0   0
Actually i believe NYC has one of the lowest TDS readings. When I lived in Queens, my tap water TDS reading was 046 ppm. Here in Long Island its over 100+

Go with any rodi unit that you can afford, just make sure there is a di section. You don't need to get a small unit, just get an adapter for your sink faucet and when you need to make water take the rodi unit out and attach to sink. When done, put it away. Thats what I did in a small apartment.

my 2 cents.....

Geraud

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
There are two sources of water in NYC:
- if you are on the Catskill/Deleware, your TDS will be less than 50
- if you are on the Croton, above 100.

It can change over time as they make reconstructions and switch your area around (I have a thread about that). Practically for me, it meant changing my DI resin more often. It is good to have a dual inline TDS meter.

I am using this one: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/dual-inline-tds-meter-dm-1-hm-digital.html

I also think that having transparent canisters is better: for the sediment cartridge you can see how dirty it is quickly, and for the DI resin, if you get the color changing one, you can tell when you will need to replace it.

schaNYC

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I live in LIC and agree that nyc tap water TDS was close to 50-60. I got 0 tds reading using spectrapure 4 stage. I did add a booster to help speed the production. My psi went from 35 to 70.

seldin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
I just got a TDS meter. Interestingly, my bathroom water has a TDS of 38 and my kitchen has a TDS of 45. I am now in the process of getting my rodi installed.

I plan on getting a 3 inline TDS meter to help cartridges that are used up.

Thanks guys for your feedback.

GrandStreetReef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
i live in a small 1br manhattan apartment have the BRS 100 GPD unit and its awesome. Easy to use and fast, and affordable. I actually just posted a video about it on my youtube channel this morning, check it out.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Agreed, NYC water is some of the best around... at the source. Rusty pipes in buildings and broken pipes in the ground add contamination. SO simply run the cold water tap for 2 minutes before filling the bucket. (Not the hot water, since that went though a boiler). heh

seldin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
My one question is why this vendor specifically mentions NYC as an area that requires additional filtration. I have used Spectrapure in the past and don't remember any special instructions for the NY area.

Geraud

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
My one question is why this vendor specifically mentions NYC as an area that requires additional filtration. I have used Spectrapure in the past and don't remember any special instructions for the NY area.

Can you share what the special instructions are? Apart from letting the cold water run for a minute before going through the RO/DI, as homegrowncichlid was mentioning?

Geraud

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Interesting. I did see an increase in sediments when they opened up a new water line, but that was a while back (4 years ago I think) and it was transient. But I guess adding another sediment filter is not that expensive. You can get the canisters from BRS and just run two sediment cartridges instead of one.

seldin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
I picked the one I mentioned. 100 gpd 4 stage from Aquatic LIfe.

Not very small, however, I love the easy change cartridge without using a tool.

I ended up putting on a 3 TDS meter adapter, so I can tell when a cartridge starts to fade.

One negative, is that when building cleaned the water lines, the unit's sediment cartridge clogged quickly. I later learned I can remove it, shake it, and in this case, unblocked the clog. I then checked TDS so I know it was working fine.

So unintended major feature, is not needed to use a tool to change.

Thanks,

Larry

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: