Mu8st7ang1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Every 3 days I start getting brown bubble hair algae in my rocks and stringy brown algae on my glass and sand bed. My phosphate is .04 and my nitrate is .25. I use chemiclean a few times and it goes away for about a week then comes back. If I do a water change and siphon it off it comes back in about 3 days. What else can I do? Run gfo? Add chemipure? I have battled this in the past and it goes away last time I ran gfo but I know that isn’t great for Sps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Your problem not phoshate nor nitrates. You could have high amounts of silicates. That's feeding diatoms in your tank. Check your Di/ RO unit if your using one. I heard Vibrant or some kind of bacteria can help. They sell media to remove silicates. If it goes away in the morning and comes back after the lights are on cut back a little . Until you get to root of the problem.

Aquadicted

Bill Goody Aquariums
Vendor
Rating - 96.4%
27   1   0
algae has to be fed... so you're probably having inefficiencies in filtration, overfeeding and/or not enough nutrient export. You should be substracting things to solve this problem not adding more things in there. Although i heard vibrant works well.

Mu8st7ang1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Subtraction of? What should I start with? I have vibrant u stopped adding it 2 weeks ago. Should I add cheato or something to my sump it’s empty now other than just black foam piece that goes from the second to the third zone

Mu8st7ang1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Subtraction of? What should I start with? I have vibrant u stopped adding it 2 weeks ago. Should I add cheato or something to my sump it’s empty now other than just black foam piece that goes from the second to the third zone

2c8305bd8582a08b952c5576c55fd11b.jpg
2c8305bd8582a08b952c5576c55fd11b.jpg

Mu8st7ang1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Probably found culprit tds meter read Ro water at 424 and my tap at 444. I wonder why as all my media other than di is new. Or maybe my Ro unit isn’t going through all the things properly

seldin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
In programming there is a famous saying, "garbage in, garbage out". Every tank should use the best water possible. RODI is the way to go....

Then as you said, you have to keep on trying to improve your setup. It's a learning process. Focusing on various items. Phosphates, lighting, feeding, etc.

Clean up crew is so important.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: