BigA-quariums

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Need some advice/help with phosphate, I’m changing out my gfo (rowaphos) every 3 days. I tried using phosrx but don’t like to use it much because of the tangs. What would cause phosphate to raise fast? Tank is 3 years old, Could I be overstocked? Tank is a 6 foot 125 approximately 110 total water with yellow tang, moorish idol, yellow belly tang, melanurus wrasse, magnificent foxface, 2 clownfish, blonde naso, long nose wrasse, copper band, 4 green chromis, cleaner wrasse.

kevin315

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Are u feeding a lot of nori everyday? Cut down on nori and rinse frozen food. Also try to feed less pellet

I wouldn't say you are overstocked. What's your parameters and desire parameters?

BigA-quariums

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Feed 1 sheet of 3x7 nori and about 2 cubes of frozen mysis or San Francisco Bay angel and butterfly formula a day don’t really feed pellets or flakes if I do maybe once a week.
Alk- 9.3 accidentally overdosed 2 part slowly bringing it down slowly to 8.5
Phosphate- 4/4 .06, 4/7 .11, today .26
Nitrate- 10-15
Ph-7.9-8.1
Calcium-420
Magnesium-1380

BigA-quariums

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Also forgot to add I also have a refugium with cheato that doesn’t really do anything for nutrient control it does grow but don’t see any benefits from it.

kevin315

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Yea try cutting down on nori to 1 sheet every 2-3 days, that thing is known for phosphate. Continue running rowaphos, preferably thru a reactor but even then I highly doubt rowaphos depletes in 3 days.

BigA-quariums

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I’ll try that thank you. Here are my parameters for last month and this month I didn’t think it would get used up as fast either but proof are in the numbers. The drop in phosphate that are quick I used the phosrx then added the gfo to try to maintain. Running the gfo in the brs dual media reactor
B26F72E6-4A0D-417A-8D18-134D9F1AA7A4.jpeg
39FF6373-F740-46DF-8CEE-8A3D12C2789F.jpeg

Timfish

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of those numbers I would worry about and I wonder if you are testing at the same time of day. (Is it possible you're seeing some daily fluctuation?) Have you tried checking your test kit against a standard or against another test kit? Here's some stuff on phosphorus that might help you understand what's happening in your system a little better:

Richard Ross What's up with phosphate"

BActeria and Sponges (& nutrients)

Fig 4 from this paper
DIP DOP POP.jpg

Sponge symbionts and the marine P cycle

BigA-quariums

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Sooo turns out it was the nori sheets, stopped feeding nori the last couple days phosphate stay around .01 difference from last time I put it in the tank. Thank you for the advice and help!!!!

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So if your heavy in feeding. You have to be heavy exporting. How deep is your sand. If you like sand try to have just about 1". How's your skimmer? How often do you do WC? Cut back on dry food . Are you using filter socks. Are you changing them often. Adding bacteria will help lower nitrates. Feed 3x a day but smaller portion. Best thing I ever did was bare bottom. Never have an issue except low phoshate and nitrates. I have to add nitrates. . No more Gfo. System much more cruise control on nutrients.

BigA-quariums

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Sand bed is 1.5“, skimmer is reef octopus classic int150 skimming wet cup fills up about 1/4 to half way a day. Also forgot to add I’m carbon dosing 10ml nopox a day. Usually do 20 gallons a week water change. Using polyfill filter floss in a media cup changed out every other day or 3rd day. Barely feed dry foods maybe once a week if I do. I tried bare bottom on my nano didn’t really like it personally didn’t look natural to me. Phosphate went back up to .20 haven’t fed nori only been feeding mysis and brine shrimp gonna change it out now see how long it last this time.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: