T

THEDLO

k so ive been using instant ocean since i started this tank, and i would like change over to there reef crystals salt which has higher cal alk and mag. so my question is can i just change over or do it slowly. went to there home page and didnt really find much of the element levels...

T

THEDLO

Rating - 100%
75   0   0
i know i read that, but its the same brand the only difference is the higher cal alk and mag

Widdy

Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
I would imagine brand not playing a huge role here, and more the parameters of each salt. The instructions in the link should still apply.

Last edited:
T

THEDLO

Rating - 100%
75   0   0
thats whats got me wondering that if i could just go from instant ocean regular to instant ocean reef crystals with out having to do the slow conversion

T

THEDLO

Rating - 100%
75   0   0
im good for a while...just bought a 200g bucket of the regular IO. i may move to the other one when im out. thanks for the link

Boomer

Bomb Technician (EOD)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THE

I would not race into it. RC has vit's in it and may cause issue with quick changes due to what the coal are use to. This usually the cause of crashed tanks when changing salts to quickly. Same can be said for other issue, such as never using GFO or GAC and then using one. Or taking a coral from a low nutrient load tank and putting it in a high nutrient load tank or vise-versa.

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Unless you are doing 100% water changes even cold turkey is a gradual change. A 10% water change will dilute to a gradual shift.
There will be less and less old as more changes occur but there would not be a shock.

Technically you will never be rid of all the original salt water no matter how many changes. The quantity will keep decreasing gradually.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

batt600

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90%
27   3   0
Unless you are doing 100% water changes even cold turkey is a gradual change. A 10% water change will dilute to a gradual shift.
There will be less and less old as more changes occur but there would not be a shock.

Technically you will never be rid of all the original salt water no matter how many changes. The quantity will keep decreasing gradually.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

Yes +1

Boomer

Bomb Technician (EOD)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never crashed my tank and it not like your doing a 50% water change. change of salt wont affect any thing. been doing it for 12 year with no problem

The discussion here has more or less been "cold turkey" that equals large water changes and why I said do not race into it. You are not everybody and forums are filled where other have done large changes and crashed their tanks. And it is not your tank or you that is going to loose here if his tank crashes. This was proven after Ron Shimek's article on sea salts and many raced out donig large water changes to a so called better salt, where many ended up with tank crashes. Why rush into it when there is no reason ?

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: