NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
well for years i have been using the esv brand which i liked, ut after always seeing the threads in reguards to Mrs wages pickling lime, which is the same stuff but considerably cheaper lfs $15 1lb esv seen it cheaper online, Mrs wages $2.50 lb :shhh: so i think i know what i will be using now. the stuff is hard to find unless ordering online but found a store that carries it seasonally so guess i will be going back to buy the rest of it

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
at walmart if you go to where the dish's ect are they have canning jars and it should be right with them, and walmart is cheaper then she sells it for, it's $2.50 a lb or 16 oz so basically $15 compared to her $22 plus shipping

DrHarryLopez

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I used kalk in my top-off for about four yrs. It supplied my Ca n Alk for my softy n LPS tank.

I finally took it offline after my pumps would not start after stopping. I found out from the pump manufactures that Kalk calcifies and cakes up everywhere and on the pump shafts.

After I stopped the kalk dosing and went to 2 part I never had that pump problem again. my 2cents.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
no u dont need to use 2 part , u still need to check levels and doseage of kalk to know where your at, u might need to still dose some 2 part though, ive been using the same aqualift pump for 3 yr's with no problem, as with anyp ump in the system they need to be periodicly cleaned and checked.

T

THEDLO

Rating - 100%
166   0   0
no u dont need to use 2 part , u still need to check levels and doseage of kalk to know where your at, u might need to still dose some 2 part though, ive been using the same aqualift pump for 3 yr's with no problem, as with anyp ump in the system they need to be periodicly cleaned and checked.

how often do u clean ur pumps?

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
well i only have 1 pump driving whole system my external gen x pc 40 and once a year on it, the aqualift i take off line every 6 months and run vinegar through it and change lines

AlohaTropics

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Hey Rick, while we're on the subject of Kalk because I think I'm gonna pretty much dose Kalk only on my new home system, whats up with Anthony Calfo's suggestion on just directly dosing Kalk Slurry into the system? It seems contrary to all warnings to only use the saturated liquid part of the kalk mixture.

Also, I've always read that you must pretty much use the kalk mixture immediately because exposed to air, it loses lots of its qualities. I've allowed kalk mixtures to sit and settle for hours and it still seems like there is sediment suspended in the mixture. Any comments on this?

Thirdly, I used to use AquaVitro Calcification on my system because it seemed to show amazing growth in my corals. I stopped using it in the last 6 months and it seemed as though my growth rate slowed significantly. I recently had a conversation with another big time reefer with heavily populated Acro tanks and he said the same thing. When he started using the AquaVitro, growth rates exploded. He also said something that I suspected. When you does Aquavitro Calcification, it seems like it rapidly dissapears in your test readings. I'm thinking that the properties of the solution (which is a gluconic based organic calcium) really is true where it says that corals take this type of Calcium in much much more easily than other forms of Ca. Have you ever used it?

Thanks bro.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
i think i have a bottle of it in my attic, i won their whole line and didnt really use any of it, i mix the kalk and stir for 15 min then let it set for 24 hr's { i also add vinegar to it } this will help lower the ph of it and makes it stronger, plus ur dosing a carbon source this way as well. i use mine with ato, and a aqua lift pump to supply it, had read alot on it and was un-decided on it or a cal reactor years ago, and had tried a few reactors but always went back to the kalk, i dont have heavy stocked sps maybe 20 pieces lol and it ha done very well for me, one of the biggest things for me is it helps precipitate phos. randy holmes farley use's kalk with vinegar as well here is a article on it. btw i am not good with technical names or terms un-less it has to do with a car lol
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rhf/index.php

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
mbg i do, because it is used in my fresh water top off container i dont mix it as strong, i have a 18g tank and add 15 tbls to it, mix really well for5 minutes an let it set for 24 hr's, then switch containers and add new batch, have to see how much top off your going through to help determine amont used, i still dose magnesium once a week, but this has kept my levels around 450 cal 9 dkh

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: